Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
CAS in Japan/Sfatlicllp Review/Hiraku Takeoka
Posted by: Frederick (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2014 08:37PM
For those who may not know, but there is a fantastic and quite knowledgeable individual named Hiraku Takeoka of Japan. He is one of the most respected Cthulhu Mythos experts (among other areas) in that country...for example, when it was decided to translate Lin Carter's classic book LOVECRAFT: "A Look Behind The Cthulhu Mythos" into Japanese, Takeoka was asked to write its "Afterward!"

Hiraku Takeoka has translated many a Mythos related material (including, I am honored to say, my Mythos poetry collection "The Second Sathlatta: Frederick J. Mayer," published by Atlantean Publishing of England) including many a Clark Ashton Smith connected item. He has posted numerous CAS translated into Japanese works on his Blog and Face Book page, not to mention, Lovecraft et.al. stuff that has been appearing there over the years...not to mention, informing fans in the "West" of the Japanese Mythos authors!

If one wants to experience how Japan/Asia has/is reacting to Smith's work (which is usually very favorable), Takeoka is a must seek out person! [u][/u]He is a huge CAS fan and related subjects in general and (now, some personal ego-boo) I am proud to say Hiraku has reviewed my CAS inspired recently published tale...I would like to share it here:

Hiraku Takeoka: I have just read Frederick's story (KuMiHo Justice For Love, "Sfatlicllp's Rules", currently in the on-line zine Tigershark #3), and recommend it to all those who love the Cthulhu Mythos. I am amused to see a marvelous amalgamation of East Asian folklore and the Mythos, which he worked up into an exquisite tale!

...story contains a lot of fascinating elements such as the third twin of Lloigor and Zhar.
It is always pleasing to see authors of today reconstruct the Cthulhu Mythos.

The legend of the nine-tailed fox is a little different in Korea than in
Japan and China, which made the story even more interesting to me...
artwork is splendid and matches the story very well.

Frederick J. Mayer's literary work is highly original, while it certainly succeeds the
tradition of Clark Ashton Smith, the Emperor of Dreams. I am glad it gives a salute to August Derleth, too. Thanks again, and please keep on writing beautiful poems and stories!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page