Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Where are CAS illustrations for HPL's "The Lurking Fear"?
Posted by: Too_Many_Elevens (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2014 01:07PM
Apparently Smith illustrated Lovecraft's "The Lurking Fear" when it was first published, though it seems the images are not apart of the gallery here. Does anyone out there have access to his illustrations and can upload them? Has anyone out there even seen them?

Re: Where are CAS illustrations for HPL's "The Lurking Fear"?
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2014 01:50PM
I have seen them, but I do not consider any of them very good.

Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 19 April, 2014 06:59PM
They were published in "Home Brew." They are also in 1966's "The Dark Brotherhood." (AH) The beasties look like cheerful grinning monkeys--really disappointingly bad.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2014 06:01PM
Gill Avila Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were published in "Home Brew." They are also
> in 1966's "The Dark Brotherhood." (AH) The
> beasties look like cheerful grinning
> monkeys--really disappointingly bad.

Not all the illustrations were reproduced in The Dark Brotherhood -- only two out of the eight, if memory serves (I'd have to dig out my copy to be certain of this, but unfortunately it isn't easily available at the moment). I include a link below to one of the others -- one about which HPL remarked in his correspondence -- showing the Martense graveyard and the unnatural trees there... which, as noted, are distinctly sexual. The link I provide here actually is taken from Wilum's site, but (at least on my screen) the images are more clearly seen:

[pettydemon.wordpress.com]

On the other hand, the cover of the Necronomicon reprint includes another of Smith's illustrations, and if you scroll down here, you'll see the shadow on the chimney:

[lovecraftianhorror.blogspot.com]

I've yet to see the "Gryphon Gazing on the Gulf" piece which HPL raved about, but from comments I've seen elsewhere, that one does deserve the sort of praise he lavished on it. (I understand that was not used in HB; does anyone know if it still exists?)

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2014 08:19PM
I have the 1977 facsimile printing by Necronomicon Press of the entire series as publish'd in HOME BREW. There are eleven art pieces in all.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2014 10:07PM
wilum pugmire Wrote:
> I have the 1977 facsimile printing by Necronomicon
> Press of the entire series as publish'd in HOME
> BREW. There are eleven art pieces in all.

Thanks, Wilum. Does this include the "Gryphon" illustration as well? If not, I repeat the question: Does anyone know if that illustration still exists and, if so, would it be possible to view it?

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2014 12:06PM
Yes it does, an illustration title "Giant Bat-winged Gryphons." I have just recorded a video on YouTube shewing each and every of the nine drawings by CAS.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2014 12:47AM
Too_Many_Elevens Wrote:
> Has anyone out there even seen them?

I have them. My first reaction was that they are surprisingly amateurish. But I have since grown rather fond of them. The giant bat-winged gryphon looks like a long-necked turtle, until you realize that what looks like its carapace is (probably) actually its wing. There are 8 illustrations, but 3 are "doubles" split between 2 opposing pages, so that one may say there are 8 or 11, depending on how you count them. The diseased trees and vegetation are indeed kind of gross-looking. I wouldn't want to go near them, anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page