Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lin Carter as CAS editor
Posted by: stevereplogle (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2004 07:13PM
First off, I'd like to thank the host and all the contributors for the wonderful reading I've done in the last several days since I found this site. It's really great -- and quite a treasure for a long-time CAS fan such as myself.
I've gone through much of the forum as it stands presently, and I'd like to ask some open questions related to Lin Carter's work with CAS material under the Ballantine imprint -- I'd also like to get further information on the long-delayed Don Grant Averoigne book.
Open questions about Lin Carter: How do the regulars at this site feel about his CAS compilations for Ballantione during the early '70's? Are his chonologies way off, or pretty good? Is his habit of "rounding out" collections -- for example, adding four stories under the heading "The World's Rim" to "Hyperborea" -- generally found to be accepted, or criticized?
For some reason or another, Carter and Ballantine never got around to "Averoigne." Does anybody know why? Has anybody ever come across Carter's plans for that volume? I wonder what chronology he might have concocted, and what additional material, if any, he might have included. There are other other CAS stoires that have "Old World" settings, such as "A Night in Malneant," that might not seem out of place next to the Averoigne stories.
And as a follow-up, what selections will be in the Grant book, and in what order?

Re: Lin Carter as CAS editor
Posted by: ngchristakos (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2004 01:32PM
According to The Dark Eidolon #3, which reprinted Lin Carter's proposed but unpublished Clark Ashton Smith collections, an edition of Averoigne was intended for 1977. The contents were to be:
The Maker of Gargoyles, The Holiness of Azedorac, The Colossus of Ylorgne, The Beast of Averoigne, The Mandrakes, The Disinterment of Venus, The Satyr, The End of the Story, A Rendezvous in Averoigne, Mother of Toads, The Enchantress of Sylaire, and Pages from "The Black Book" and Notes for Unwritten Stories by Clark Ashton Smith.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2004 03:48PM
Ron Hilger listed the contents of THE AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES from Grant in an earlier thread. Root around in the Forum a bit and you'll find it.
Best,
Scott

Posted by: stevereplogle (IP Logged)
Date: 27 April, 2004 10:00PM
Thank you for the responses. It seems as though Carter's list largely follows the chronology given on this site (from Cockcroft in Nycatalops #7)... although it's puzzling that he would place "A Rendevous in Averoigne" after "The End of the Story." I do think Carter would have added some padding to the volume, some smaller grouping of European or medieval tales under one heading or another, although of course that's only conjecture.

I'll look for that Grant information a little more...

BTW, I apologize for my typos above!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page