Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Hashish-Eater
Posted by: Ron Hilger (IP Logged)
Date: 4 May, 2002 09:53PM
Hey Boyd-
I've spoken with DSF, who doesn't seem to mind your posting his recording of The Hashish-Eater on your site. We've not been actively trying to find someone to publish it, and you might as well use it in the meanwhile. It's really a fun recording; and if you can read the text while listening, it sort of brings the whole thing together.
Later,
-Ron

Re: The Hashish-Eater
Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 5 May, 2002 04:22PM
Thats great Ron, Thank DSF for me. He does read a slightly diffrent version than the one on the site - what was his source? I think i have the Necronomicon press version.

Boyd.

Date: 7 May, 2002 12:01AM
He uses the original text from Ebony and Crystal. The main difference from the later version in Selected Poems is the 12 sections have been consolidated into 10. I still think that the recording plus DSF's annotated text would make a great book and tape publication, similar to Fedogan & Bremer's "Fungi from Yuggoth" Oh well, maybe someday . . .
-Ron

Posted by: Frederick J. Mayer (IP Logged)
Date: 3 October, 2002 11:31AM

I remember Donald performing a special performance of his of the Hashish Eater in this local bookstore in Sacramento.
If memory is correct, it was by invitation only and when word got out of the performance, boy, were you one that people envied if you were so invited.
In his impressive style, Donald let loose and he did not disappointment those in attendence. He provided us all with a limited private printing of the manuscript which has become one of my most cherished processions! Plus, an experience I'll never forget.
And, I agree with Ron, if you can read it as you hear Donald's voice, it does come together. However, when you hear Donald live, just him wraps one into the world of Smith in that work and one need not read along. But, having the tape and a manuscript probably is the next best thing, though, I believe the best way to experience Hashish Eater is to experience it live.
Curious, where was this taped version of Donald's reading recorded? Thanks.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 3 October, 2002 06:02PM
Frederick Mayer asks "Curious, where was this taped version of Donald's reading recorded? Thanks." Would you believe, Ron's living room? We're not talking high-tech here.
Best,
Scott

Date: 4 October, 2002 01:39PM

Scott,

Thanks. Interesting. If it works, it works...does Ron live in Sacramento? If so I am sorry I never met him while I lived in Sacramento. As I wrote in the plaque section, I was at the ceremony for putting a plaque at the Auburn library.
One of the "treats" there was hearing this homemade tape of Smith reading his work. And, I believe it was the same tape they used when they eventually sold a tape of Smith readings (?) to the public. It wasn't "high tech" either, but in the right mind set these things become treasures!

Take care,

Frederick

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 4 October, 2002 08:38PM
Ron lives a little bit north of Auburn, in Grass Valley, CA, so he's not entirely out of the loop insofar as Sacramento is concerned.
Best,
Scott

Date: 5 October, 2002 10:45AM
Frederick,
I was indeed at Don's reading of "The Hashish-Eater" that you mention. It was at Webber's bookstore in downtown Sac. I actually believe that Don briefly introduced us then, but there was a lot of activity at the time, and wouldn't be surprised if you don't recall this. Don wore a long robe, and read from a scroll (which was actually many connected sheets of computer paper) on which he had written out the text. He had memeorised the entire poem, but it certainly helps to be able to refer to the text while performing.
The recording we made was back in 1991 when I lived in a larger house and was lucky enough to have a downstairs library. It was a pretty good enviornment for such recording (except when the phone would ring unexpectedly) and I actually used some fairly sophisticated multi-track equipment that records at high speeds for better sound definition. Nevertheless, as Scott pointed out, this recording was not made in a studio or anything like that. The recording is on this site, in several sections, I believe, if you want to check it out.
-Ron

Date: 9 October, 2002 12:09PM

I wanted to try and submit this poem of mine to the tribute poetry page, but couldn't fiqure out how to do it. So, I put it here and maybe Ron, or Scott or someone can get it to the right section, if it meets your requirements. So, I am sorry for all the poor souls who suffer through it here.
I have earned my living as a poet/writer since the 60's. If one looks at the site Ultimate Science Fiction Poetry Guide under "Fantasy Poetry", they will find 1)Smith is considered the all time great SF and Fantasy poet of the "modern" period and 2) my name listed as a "significant" fantasy poet. One of my poems that led to this was "The Abominations of Yoni." While, I do not consider my poetry style "influenced" by CAS (having developed it before I had read anything by Smith), I do consider him one of the few poets I greatly admire, hence, there is some kind of influence going on there.
This poem, however, has a more direct influence as it can be seen here in the title. It comes from two main sources 1) the book The Abomination of Yondo and 2) one of the pet names Smith and his wife Carol had for each other in their more intimate moments, "Captain Nemo and Princess Yoni." There is no direct link between these two individuals and what I am writing about in the poem itself. The poem itself has gone through some changes here and there over the years (even now as I prepare an uncollected/"new" poems book of my own work). Below is the version of it as it was published in 1985 in the zine ELDRITCH TALES (which I thought appropiate considering the title of this web site, haha?). Ironically, this is also one of the poems that led to me receiving one of the "International Clark Ashton Smith Poetry Awards."

THE ABOMINATIONS OF YONI

Virgin dream in your rawed mind's matter,
grows till it is a brain's flawed jewel,
a still-born wisdom's pearl...
The Dreamer's nightmare.

Seamaid revealed to minds' distilled
psyche,
In that ceaseless dark dream coming-to-be,
(below erotic gray sea within an open skull
anemone)
a monster-woman of fin-de-siecle.

The White sea stallion leads from
aquarian sources
in dolphin delirium depths,
the black mares of midnight
(sensuous seafillies within dolphinish
soft hides)
who provide rides to the Vale of Oceans,
through exotic seas filled with tears
of the veil,
blowholes aflare.

Hot night rider Dako
harasses dream-sleeper in Ophannim's grotto
with thoughts of dry Yondo and her coming
dark yoni.
Mahadevis aqua virgin whore
was accepted to minds' sea shore,
but to know her showed her to be
Chinnamasta - La Femme sans Tete.

Succubus' deflowering by sleep-swimmer
brings
Lucille of the sea with Demon notions, and
on another side of dream...She drained
dreamer's frail frame
of vivid fluid for Id of: Lucifer's twin
fair.

Dreamer given les tetins de nid aux
serpents
and dropped within the 'good sleep,"
while his body foaming in the heat
is white of waves crescendo.
The Dream-walker is misanthropic lover now.

FJM

Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 10 October, 2002 02:30PM
Thanks for the poem, I'll use it in the November update. I would love to have more of your work to use on the site if you feel like emailing it to me.

Boyd.:-D

Hashish eater
Date: 13 October, 2002 01:26PM
Boyd,

Thank you for the kind words and I will send more of my work to you.

I wrote some other things to Boyd. One particular thing I wrote to him,
I think others should know concerning the Smith tribute page, poetry section.

I hope people are checking out the material on the tribute poetry section as
the majority by far is really good stuff! I would hate to see the fans of
the likes of CAS not read poetry (in so many areas of various fandoms, they choose not to read seriously the individual
of
their passion's ability in poetry. Maybe, it has something to do with how the spirit of "poetry" has all but
disappeared in the general world). Because, what better way of honoring a man like Smith than by spreading/performing
(don't fall into that mind-set put forth by "academians" that one needs special "training" to appreciate)
a "poem!" This is one of the best ways for keeping Smith alive and kicking.

A poem by Boyd there should be read as it a true delight with lines like,

"Before the blessed day - hierophant Ruul-Vash,
Chose to sell her virture for cash."

Take care all,

Frederick

Date: 16 October, 2002 07:54PM
Wow, Frederick-
Got my monitor all fogged up reading that one! Pretty steamy stuff alright. I enjoyed this immensely, hope that you and Boyd will post more as soon as you can! I agree that CAS' poetry is his most important contribution. But the tales are only slightly less amazing and much more accessible: I'm not surprized his stories are responsible for most of his present recognition, they far surpass anything else in the genre.
Thanks again!
-Ron

Date: 10 December, 2002 02:39PM

Ah, at last, getting back to this page. The last few comments have involved
my work/poetry and, instead of these musing being in another section,
I like the idea of them appearing here in the Hashish Eater section.

Thank you Boyd for doing a really nice job of presenting my work,
especially, adding to them that visual interpetation of Morthylla
(from the CAS Black Book)!

Ron, a very special thank you for your reaction to my "The Abominations
of Yoni." I have had my material described in many ways, but
"steamy" was a first :-)...yet, it fits with the water-like feel to
the piece. I hope you enjoyed some of the other poetry of mine that Boyd published.

I agree with you, in a way sadly, about CAS' literary output in the field of short stories and
its being more "accessible", while displaying his sense of, in his ability to weave words into
something more than mere words of a language on a page.

Alas, it is his enchanting use of "words" that in both poetry and tales
that held back his due "recognition" in a wider sense among the reading
public. I remember, once, in a conversation I was having with Smith's
step-son...Bill told me how a complete series of Smith's tales in paperback
had been cancelled because of a lack of sales for those already published
in said series by them at the time (unfortunately, this decision on their part also
efffected Donald). One of the reasons being people
needed a dictionary to understand completely CAS's artist ability.

Again, thank you for taking the time to offer your reaction to my poetry here.

Anyone reading this who have not yet checked out Boyd's and Ron's poems (among
others), please do so, as it will be well worth your time
and it will be as much of a tribute
to Clark Ashton Smith as reading CAS own fantastic work!

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2003 01:29PM
The hashish eater should be read ( or listened to while smoking a good bowl of
bud. It helps the entire piece come alive

Thank you,

species918B-]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page