Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Averoigne Copyright
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 9 August, 2002 04:04PM
Who, if anyone, currently holds the rights to CAS's Averoigne stories?

Thanks.

Re: Averoigne Copyright
Posted by: Ron Hilger (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2002 12:30AM
The rights to the Averoigne stories, as well as all material by CAS, is now and has always been held by CASiana Literary Enterprises (being the estate of CAS) in conjunction with Arkham House publishers who have published all of these stories (as well as nearly all of Smith's creative output) and continue to hold these rights. I personally hold the copyright to "The Averoigne Chronicles" which is currently in production by Grant Publishers, INC.,and includes all of the stories related to Averoigne.
Hope this helps,
-Ron

Date: 10 August, 2002 06:43AM
Thanks very much for the information.

Another question, if I may: were one to be interested in obtaining a license to produce work relating to Averoigne, would one approach Arkham House (as representatives of CASiana) to do so?

Thanks.

Date: 10 August, 2002 02:16PM
It depends on what you have in mind. If you're interested in creating new material related to Averoigne, then you should discuss this with CASiana and obtain their permission. (I don't think this should be much of a problem) On the other hand, if you want to reprint any material by CAS then you'll have to deal with Arkham, and that will be much more difficult as well as expensive.

Good luck,
-Ron

Date: 10 August, 2002 10:42PM
What about derivative works based on Averoigne, such as, for example, a gazetteer of the province and its locales? Would that be CASiana's domain or Arkham's?

thanks again,

Date: 11 August, 2002 12:28AM
I think you would be pretty safe with most derivative works such as role playing games, etc. Arkham House wouldn't need to be involved at all, but it would be a good idea to mention your idea to the estate. I'm relatively certain they would have no problem with a project of this sort, and your own position would be more secure with their permission.
Keep us posted as things develop.
-Ron

Date: 11 August, 2002 12:37AM
I am pleased to hear you think this an unproblematic endeavor, at least on the permission front. I am hopeful the CAS Estate will look kindly on my project. Of course, the question remains: what is the best way to approach them about this? I presume a formal letter notifying them of my intentions would be acceptable, but, as this is my first time undertaking something like this, I am uncertain.

As always, your insights are much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page