Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
History of the Book of Eibon
Posted by: deuce (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2014 07:51AM
Being a moderator on another forum, I'm fairly adept at searches. If I've recapitulated an existing thread, feel free to merge mine with that one.

My question is this: Is there a consensus in the CAS community regarding the history of the Book of Eibon? That is, what was its transmission from Hyperborea to Europe and beyond? There is a LOT of rubbish out there on the 'Net.

Before a flood destroyed them, I owned the complete Night Shades. That noted, I've found very little that CAS actually said concerning the Book of Eibon in post-Hyperborean epochs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: History of the Book of Eibon
Posted by: Ancient History (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2014 10:06AM
Well, there's the stuff the CAS wrote about it, and then the mentions by H. P. Lovecraft in "Dreams in the Witch House" and "The Horror in the Museum" among others. Unlike Lovecraft and the "History of the Necronomicon," or Robert E. Howard's bibliographic history of "The Black Book," I don't believe Smith ever set down a specific history for the book - which was later developed more fully by authors like Lin Carter.

Still, I think the general consensus among fans based primarily on Smith's stories is that after Eibon's mysterious disappearance ("The Door to Saturn"), his writings were collected by followers and maintained by cults, translated down the ages ("Ubbo-Sathla"), and finally was translated into Latin as the Livre Ivonis ("The Haunter in the Dark") and French (implied by "The Beast of Averoigne" and whatnot).

Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2014 09:39PM
There is quite a lengthy entry on the book in THE CTHULHU MYTHOS EXCYCLOPEDIA. THE BOOK OF EIBON itslef has been "constructed" by Robert M. Price and publish'd by Chaosium. 'Tis a fascinating volume by many authors, and includes superb artwork.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2014 03:34AM
HPL wrote about the Book's history in one of his late letters (somewhere in SL5).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page