Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Clark Ashton Smith & E. Hoffmann Price Letters
Posted by: AJKreitner (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2015 03:35PM
I am currently researching the pulp writer E. Hoffmann Price. I am looking for the possibility of any survival of his letters to or from CAS as they were close friends for many years. I've seen reference to people having read them as recently as the year 2000, but I can't seem to find a thread on where they may have gone.

Does anyone know of any source of letters between the two? Or anyone who might be in possession of a great number of CAS's letters who might be aware of them?

Any help is much appreciated!

Alexander Kreitner

Re: Clark Ashton Smith & E. Hoffmann Price Letters
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2015 04:25AM
The John Hay Library, maybe?

Date: 23 May, 2015 10:15AM
Not a bad idea! I checked the HP Lovecraft collection list and found two pieces with CAS. Not a very impressive survival, hopefully that isn't the whole of what's left.

Date: 23 May, 2015 11:06AM
I think they have a separate CAS collection as well.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 24 May, 2015 10:47PM
Do you know where any of Price's surviving correspondence is held? Have you referred to The Book of the Dead, the collection of his memoirs of various colleagues? I haven't looked into it in a number of years, but I vaguely recall it giving some indication of where such a collection is....

Date: 25 May, 2015 08:14AM
He delivered the originals of his Lovecraft correspondences, both sides, to the John Hay Library, along with a few random letters with Clark Ashton Smith and Robert Barlow, among others (just found that last part out). He delivered a microfilm of copies of Lovecraft's side of the letters to the University of Minnesota. He delivered a very random collection of obscure letters and manuscripts to the library at West Point where he graduated.

I don't know if he dropped off anything more at any other libraries. Apparently he wanted to avoid his relatives selling off his expensive items.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 4 June, 2015 10:59PM
Price's letters to CAS are among the Smith Papers at the JHL. I also have a few postcards from Price to CAS.

Date: 4 June, 2015 11:40PM
Mr. Connors,

Thank you very much for your reply! I looked over the Lovecraft collection at the John Hay Library and only saw two letters from Price to Smith. Are there more in a separate, Smith collection? If so, I can ask the gentleman in charge of the collection for more details.

As for the postcards you mentioned, is there any chance that you could send me scans of them? It would be very much appreciated, and they would go to good use. My e-mail is: "ajkreitner@gmail.com".

Date: 6 June, 2015 11:58AM
I found this: [library.brown.edu]

Date: 6 June, 2015 12:03PM
Thank you, Martinus! I saved the link. I will dig through that to see if they've got some more Price stuff. It would be nice to see a surviving bulk of letters between the two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page