Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Clark Ashton Smith audio recordings
Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2002 04:56PM
Dear Sirs:

I am glad to have found your website. Is it possible to obtain the Gilleland readings of CA Smith on cassette or CD? And could you tell me what recordings of CA Smith are available? The book stores are full of books on tape nowadays, and I would like someone to explain to me why Smith, who is so naturally suited to performance, seems to have been overlooked by audio book companies. Is Arkham House pursuing this?

Robert Hauser

Re: Clark Ashton Smith audio recordings
Posted by: Boyd Pearson (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2002 05:46PM
Jeffrey Gilleland sent me The Coming of the White Worm and The Tale of Satampra Zeiros on tape they are from his show on KFJC I don't know if he can or wants to distribute them further but i will check. You can download them from the site and the burn them on to a cd or tape.

There are no commercial available recordings of CA Smith - Necronomicon press put out Live from Auburn: The Elder Tapes which is now out of print, its contents are on the site.

Unless a writer is popular in print no one is going to pay for the audio.

I of course am trying rectify all of this and am actively seeking more works for the audio section.

Voluntters?

Boyd.:-D

Re: Clark Ashton Smith audio recordings
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 1 January, 2003 02:54AM
There is an audio recording of "The Return of the Sorceror" on a "Pharoah Audiobook" edition of ROD SERLING'S NIGHT GALLERY READER, volume 4 (published by Pharoah Audiobooks, P. O. Box 10393, Sedona, AZ 86339). This two-tape set also includes Lovecraft's "Pickman's Model" and Russell Kirk's "Sorworth Place."
Earlier, the monologist Theodore Gottlieb, aka "Brother Theodore," read an adaptation of "The Willow Landscape" as part of his night club act. Gottlieb was a friend of Smith's. This reading occurs on CORAL RECORDS PRESENTS THEODORE IN STEREO (CRL 757322). I am trying to get both of these transferred to CD, and plan on sending them in to Boyd to post. The Brother Theodore reading is an especial delight, since it is a pleasure to see these two giants united in this way.
Dr. Farmer is correct about having to hear Smith to appreciate his genius to the fullest. Clark wrote to the poetry magazine EPOS that music and magic were the two most important factors in his poetry, and his words are indeed incantations.
Yrs at the moment when aeons change,
Scott Connors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page