Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Park Barnitz's BOOK OF JADE
Posted by: Mikeabo123 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2015 09:56AM
Dearest CASians, I have some news that I think might be of interest to other seekers of the wondrous strange in verse: the republication of David Park Barnitz's Decadent and nihilistic BOOK OF JADE, by New York's Hippocampus Press. I co-edited this volume with David E. Schultz, and it has been in the making for years. It includes many new and never before seen essays by and about Barnitz, contemporary reviews of the BOJ, as well as a brace of new scholarly essays treating JADE and some of its central themes.

Michael Dirda, Pulitzer Prize-winning book critic for the Washington Post, has reviewed the book for the newest issue of SPECTRAL REALMS. Dirda says, "The new Hippocampus paperback of The Book of Jade is, however, the next best thing to the first edition. Indeed, in several ways it may be preferable, since editors David E. Schultz and Michael J. Abolafia have enhanced the original’s contents with uncollected poems and essays, as well as a short biography of Barnitz by Gavin Callaghan, and a dozen critical pieces about his work."

CAS himself called Barnitz's poetry "truly impressive" and "very original," writing, "If I am ever in a position to edit an anthology, I will certainly include at least half-a-dozen of these poems."

Get yours here!

Re: Park Barnitz's BOOK OF JADE
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 22 July, 2015 10:42AM
Unable to wait, I read the pdf scan of te original publication on archive.org last year. Stunning book! I can't wait to get this new edition!

Posted by: Fiendlover (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2015 01:10AM
I have an essay in this titled The Grotesques: Sins Against the Afterlife where I go over his praise for the rotting body, the beauty of the corpse, and his lack of belief in the afterlife.

Posted by: K.A. Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2015 01:54AM
I too have an essay included therein: The Perfection of the Corpse: Necrophilia in The Book of Jade. In it I discuss and examine the prominent necrophilic images and sentiments that occur in the poems of David Park Barnitz.

For all fans of macabre verse, this is a MUST acquire!

Posted by: Geoffrey (IP Logged)
Date: 3 August, 2015 08:40PM
I love the cover, but I am completely unfamiliar with the author's verse. Would someone be able to post half-a-dozen or a dozen lines?

Posted by: Fiendlover (IP Logged)
Date: 3 August, 2015 08:56PM
Just go to bookofjade.com. It has most of his poems there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page