Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
fantasy/weird poetry
Posted by: SeventhSon (IP Logged)
Date: 9 August, 2015 11:16AM
Thanks to this site I have recently discovered the Book of Jade by Park Barnitz, fantastic stuff (I'd like to read The Crimson Tome as well). So, if you could give some other names of "great not so famous" poets in the fantasy/weird/macabre field, it would be very nice? (and maybe some french ones?)

And another question. There's an essay where someone says that Smith is greater at prose poetry (and fantasy fiction) than he's at verse. What do you think of it? (being french I don't see things so clearly)

Re: fantasy/weird poetry
Posted by: Fiendlover (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2015 12:18AM
You can't go wrong with the Book of Jade or the Crimson Tome. Have you heard of Leah Bodine Drake? She was featured in Weird Tales. CAS's fantasy fiction is amazing, though I wouldn't say it's 'better' than his verse. I LOVE his verse as well.

Posted by: K.A. Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2015 12:24AM
I hope you *will* read The Crimson Tome! (It being writ by me, of course)

CAS was a most excellent prose poet--yet he was a superb metrical poet as well; I hesitate to say he was a better prose poet than poet in general. I think he was amazingly talented in both forms! But when one takes his fiction into consideration...his passages of pure poetic sorcery..... Tough question!

As for Weird poets, I'll just toss out a few names, and others can augment the list: Donald Wandrei, Samuel Loveman, Fred Phillips, Ann K Schwader (who has a new collection coming out real soon, Dark Energies, from P'rea Press!), Leigh Blackmore, Leah Bodine Drake, Wade German, Donald Sidney-Fryer, Nora May French, George Sterling (of course!). You'll want pretty much every book on this page--

[www.hippocampuspress.com]

Posted by: Fiendlover (IP Logged)
Date: 10 August, 2015 01:55AM
That's true! That's a fine collection of poetry!

Posted by: Mikeabo123 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 August, 2015 09:09AM
I also recommend, for French writers, the fin-de-siecle Decadents--Verlaine, Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Mallarme, Lautreamont &c.

For other Decadents, try Ernest Dowson and Count Stenbock (both can be found online).

While not always explicitly supernatural, these poets consistently evoke the macabre, the morbid, the fantastical, the imaginative.

Posted by: SeventhSon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2015 11:48AM
Thanks for your opinions and recommendations, I'll try these in the next future!

Mikeabo123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also recommend, for French writers, the
> fin-de-siecle Decadents--Verlaine, Rimbaud,
> Baudelaire, Mallarme, Lautreamont &c.

Yeah greats works, they're quite unavoidable here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12 Aug 15 | 11:50AM by SeventhSon.

Posted by: Frederick (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2015 07:53PM
If I may humbly add to KA's excellent list: myself, Frederick J. Mayer :) (most recently I have a piece coming out in the re-booted WEIRDBOOK #31, entitled NecRomance, "A Lost Chapter of The Book Of Eibon), Phillip A. Ellis, who will be having some of his "weird" poetry released from Atlantean Publishing, & almost any of those fine poets posted on this wonderful site ELDRITCH DARK within its CAS Tribute page concerning poetry and prose poetry!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13 Aug 15 | 07:54PM by Frederick.

Posted by: K.A. Opperman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2015 04:49PM
Frederick J Mayer is indeed worth checking out. He'll have a book out from Rainfall Books sometime in the (hopefully!) near future. His knowledge of Eastern poetic traditions (as well as Western), combined with a CASian flare, make for vivid and interesting reading. I don't think there's another poet out there quite like him. And indeed, as he himself alludes to, he is very prolific, and continues to be widely published in many leading magazines of today!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page