Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
SWEET HOLY YUGGOTH!
Posted by: wilum pugmire (IP Logged)
Date: 1 February, 2016 09:48PM
From Leslie Klinger:
"I'm very pleased to hear from my publisher Liveright/Norton that New Annotated H. P. Lovecraft is doing very well--so well that they'd like me to do a second volume, tentatively titled New H. P. Lovecraft: Beyond the Mythos. Although that first volume contained 22 stories, we omitted a number of great tales simply to avoid making the book too expensive. As a result, terrific stories like 'The Outsider.' 'The Rats in the Walls,' 'The Music of Erich Zann,' 'The Shunned House,' and the novel Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath had to be left out of volume 1. The second volume will have another 23 stories, including some little-known gems like 'Ex Oblivione' as well as all of his other famous tales. The list of stories I plan to include is below. Of course, there will be dozen and dozens of photos and illustrations again, with a little help from my friends (again). I'll also be working with my friend S. T. Joshi to use the most accurate text possible, based on his brilliant Variorum edition. I hope that eventually Liveright/Norton will put out the two volumes as a boxed set. I'll let you know the release date when it's set, but it surely won't be before 2017. . . .
LIST OF STORIES (in order written)
The Tomb
Polaris
Transition of Juan Romero
The Doom that Came to Sarnath
Ex Oblivione
The Terrible Old Man
Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
The Cats of Ulthar
Celephais
The Temple
The Outsider
The Other Gods
The Music of Erich Zann
The Quest of Iranon
The Lurking Fear
The Rats in the Walls
The Shunned House
The Horror at Red Hook
He
Cool Air
The Strange High House in the Mist
Pickman's Model
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath"

The first volume included stories that Mr Klinger felt belonged to Lovecraft's Arkham/Mythos cycles. Hopefully this means that there will be no tentacles onye jacket of this second volume..........

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Re: SWEET HOLY YUGGOTH!
Posted by: Jojo Lapin X (IP Logged)
Date: 2 February, 2016 01:31AM
I like the tentacles on the first volume.

Date: 2 February, 2016 12:10PM
It wou'd be so cool if Les uses two or three of ye Clark Ashton Smith illustrations for "The Lurking Fear," and I shall suggest that to him. And it delights, but does not surprise me, to know that Lovecraft's growing world-wide popularity is resulting in more and more readers discovering him, readers who are willing to spend a hefty amount on a huge hardcover book. I return to the first volume continually, and love it more and more. I remember when Les came to Seattle for an event shared with S. T. at ye University Book Store when NEW ANNOTATED H. P. LOVECRAFT was first publish'd, and as, after ye event, we stroll'd to an Indian restaurant I exclaim'd that Les cou'd now begin work on a second volume, and he said quite bluntly, "No, there's not enough good material," or some such sentiment. Happily, ye huge financial success of the first volume has alter'd his opinion! It's a slight torment, knowing how long we must wait for this new volume--but we will have that huge rad edition of YE ANNOTATED FUNGI FROM YUGGOTH this year.

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Date: 20 February, 2016 12:34PM
Ye good news on new Lovecraft editions continues to pour upon us starry-eyed fan-freaks! Here is this morning's announcement from PS Publishing:

"Following the undreamed of success of the hitherto nine volumes in our HPL PulpS Library, we've persuaded artist Pete Von Sholly and Lovecraftian scholar S. T. Joshi to pleasure us yet again with the definitive versions of three further epic yarns--namely THE MOUND, THE HAUNTER OF THE DARK and THE THING ON THE DOORSTEP."

These three new volumes will feature new Introductions by ye esteem'd editor and, as in earlier volumes, a variety of essays concerning each individual tale. "The Haunter of the Dark" is my favourite HPL story, so I am feverish in my anticipation of that one! Ia!!

"I'm a little girl."
--H. P. Lovecraft, Esq.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page