Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Walter de la Mare horror stories
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2016 01:41PM
Hello,

Does anybody know the complete list of Walter de la Mare´s horror stories? The tales of terror I have read by him so far are:

All Hallows
A: B: O:
Miss Duveen
Out Of The Deep
The Return
Seaton’s Aunt
The Tree
The Vats

I have read somewhere that "Crewe", "Missing", "Miss Miller", "The House" and "A Recluse" are also scary ones but I cannot judge because I have not read them.
Thanks.

P.S. I have tried to contact what seems to be de la Mare official web site but no one has cared to answer me, that´s why I am asking here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10 Feb 16 | 01:43PM by Minicthulhu.

Re: Walter de la Mare horror stories
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 February, 2016 04:35PM
This is the selection of de la Mare's supernatural fiction gathered by Mark Valentine for Tartarus Press's mammoth collect STRANGER AND PILGRIMS (to which I would add the story he wrote for children entitled "Hodmadod", which is related to "The Scarecrow):

“A:B:O.”
“The Moon's Miracle”
“The Riddle”
“The Giant”
“The Quincunx”
“The Pear-Tree”
“The Bird of Travel”
“Seaton's Aunt”
“The Vats”
“Promise at Dusk”
“The Creatures”
“Miss Jemima”
“The Looking-Glass”
“Out of the Deep”
“Winter”
“The Green Room”
“The Scarecrow”
“Alice’s Godmother”
“Mr Kempe”
“A Recluse”
“All Hallows”
“The Game at Cards”
“Crewe”
“The House”
“ ‘'What Dreams May Come’ ”
“Strangers and Pilgrims”
“A Revenant”
“The Guardian”
“An Anniversary”
“Music”
“Bad Company”

P.S. My computer still attempts to block this site as dangerous when I access.

Date: 10 February, 2016 05:29PM
Thank you very much for the list. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10 Feb 16 | 05:39PM by Minicthulhu.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2016 12:25AM
"The Connoisseur" is a beautifully written exotic tale, with some horror elements. Perhaps his best. Not sure how the abbreviated version fares. I read the complete one.

Date: 11 February, 2016 05:40AM
Knygatin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The Connoisseur" is a beautifully written exotic
> tale, with some horror elements. Perhaps his best.
> Not sure how the abbreviated version fares. I read
> the complete one.

Watch out for the leper. That is the best section of this episodic story.

Date: 11 February, 2016 01:06PM
Thanks for the tip."The Connoisseur" has been added to my list.

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2016 03:20AM
I seem to recall that HPL thought highly of de la Mare.

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2016 03:37AM
You are welcome.

I first encountered the abridged version of "The Connoisseur" and was unimpressed until I read the complete version. The three volumes of his stories edited by Giles de la Mare for Giles de la Mare Publishers is a great set for those who enjoy his work. I do not think the "Best Stories" published by Faber & Faber (1943 and periodically reissued) presents a very good case for him. "The Collected Tales" published by Knopf (1950) is much better, but the Tartarus Press collection I mentioned earlier (pricey, but huge, beautifully bound and including an excellent introduction by Mark Valentine - still available for $60 from the publisher) or Giles de la Mare's three volumes are preferable. Do not be put off by the label "children's stories" in Giles de la Mare's third volume - de la Mare did not write down to this audience; thus there is nothing twee or cutesy about these stories.

Date: 22 May, 2021 02:50PM
How did you like his novel The Return?

Date: 22 May, 2021 03:58PM
A guy falls asleep in a graveyard only to find out after his awakening he wears the facial semblance of the dead man the tombstone of whom he slumbered by ... The concept is very intriguing, but the story is unnecessarily long and wordy, sometimes to the point of boring the reader (or at least it was so in my case). I read it several years ago and I can remember being interested by the opening chpaters, they really whetted my appetite, but my enthusiasm gradually waned as the story progressed and finally I ended up being compelled to say the book made no impression on me whatsoever. What a waste of potential ...

Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2021 05:52PM
I read it a year or so ago & likewise found it more interesting early on than it remained, though I did finish it (a second reading after many years). I have been contemplating an article on de la Mare for the New York C. S. Lewis Society. Here are a few notes:

Lewis’s 11 Nov. 1922 diary: He went for a walk, taking The Return with him. “I understand very little of the dialogue in this book: worth reading for the one sentence ‘We are all like children playing knuckle bones in a giant’s scullery’” (p. 135).

14 March 1293: He encountered Jenkin at Merton St. [= ?]. Jenkin was “finishing De la Mare’s Return. He said it produced exactly the atmosphere of flu. I thought this a sound criticism” (p. 219).

I take it that this refers to the weariness, the unreal feelings felt by Lawford, and de la Mare’s ability to convey them to the reader. Much of the time Lawford seems pretty passive, experiencing and thinking about his feelings but not taking decisive steps. The Herberts (Herbert and Grisel) talk with him a lot. She does encourage him to resist. At one point they feel he has “won through” & this expression comes up several times.

Date: 23 May, 2021 12:51AM
Thank you both, for your comments. I have not read The Return yet. I shall deem it an inspiring challenge to see if I can enjoy the latter part of it more than you have. De la Mare is often a very subtle writer.

Date: 6 July, 2021 12:52AM
I had made some home-baked marzipan, and I had a bottle of port wine, and wanted to read "The Almond Tree" along with it. Because I knew, by coincidence, that there was mention of 'marzipan' in this story. To get in the mood.

"The Almond Tree" is not a supernatural story. I was slightly disappointed (and the port I had poured into my glass was cheap). But rewarded. It is existentially demanding, subtly questioning, balancing doubts and ennui for life against continued motivation for life. I wonder if it might not be, at least partly, autobiographical, for I doubt de la Mare could have made such dark observations of family, childhood, parents, and marriage, and then alternating it with invigorating glimmerings, if he had not lived through it.

Written around 1923, and much more insightful than the confusion, conceit, and intellectual folly of our modern age. I think we have stepped back instead of making genuine progress.

Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 6 July, 2021 10:59AM
I've been tempted to buy the complete short stories of de la Mare in two volumes, edited and published by Giles de la Mare, but I've been burning through my book budget rapidly of late. I have the first of the two volumes from the library and would say the print is at the smaller end of acceptable type size, but type size is getting to be more of a consideration these days. The stories (other than some unpublished or scattered ones) are available online, of course, but if I want the majority of the stories in books, I might go for the old Knopf editions, which have a nicer type size.

(The "complete" stories doesn't include a third volume of stories for children.)

Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 6 July, 2021 11:31AM
Knygatin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
MUCH SNIPPED...

>
> Written around 1923, and much more insightful than
> the confusion, conceit, and intellectual folly of
> our modern age. I think we have stepped back
> instead of making genuine progress.

I'm going 'way off topic here, but for a very long time (20-30 years?) I've been obsessed with common connotations of specific words. "Progressive" is one such.

"Progressive" carries with it a sort of positive connotation, as if the underlying belief is that the future holds an inexhaustibly bright promise, everlasting.

So to label one's self as "progressive" is to sort of pat one's self on the back, publicly. In some circles--actually, most, nowadays--it's an acceptable form of self-aggrandizement. Tooting one's own horn in good taste, so to speak.

Now consider the following commonly used words:

tolerance
diversity
inclusiveness

Can these be anything but glowingly positive? And can there ever be any circumstance when questioning whether any form of their appropriateness is less than benighted? Could diversity ever be a negative trait?

I mean, supporting footbinding and female circumcision would indeed be inclusive, and increase diversity, right? How about ritual body scarring and polygamy? Consumption of still-living fish in restaurants?

Tolerance and diversity is always good, right? Aids expression of multi-culturalism, another positively charged term.

I wonder if adopting public squat toilets, such as are found in India, can be considered progressive?

:^)

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page