Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
John Metcalfe
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 6 October, 2016 03:17PM
What do you think of John Metcalfe? For my money, some of his scifi/horror stories are really great, what a shame he is almost unknown, unlike his contemporaries who have survived thanks to Lovecraft and whose work is not worth its salt.

Re: John Metcalfe
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 6 October, 2016 04:00PM
I have JUDAS, THE SMOKING LEG, Ash-Tree's collection, and a few odds and ends - he is a marvelous writer!

Date: 7 October, 2016 01:46PM
I have "The Smoking Leg And Other Stories" and "Nightmare Jack And Other Tales". Great collections.
P.S. Does "Judas And Other Stories" contain a story or stories that are not included in the two collections I am mentioning?

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 9 October, 2016 10:09PM
JUDAS contains the following stories: "Judas", "Mortmain", "Funeral March of a Marionette", "Time-Fuse", "Face of Bassett", "Salvage", "Mr. Meldrum's Mania", "Seven on an Island", "No Sin", and "The Spanish Hat".

Four of these ("Mortmain", "Funeral March of a Marionette", "Time-Fuse", and "Mr. Meldrum's Mania") are included in Ash-Tree Press's NIGHTMARE JACK. Of the rest, "Face of Bassett", "Seven on an Island", and "No Sin" also feature Metcalfe's elusive brand of supernaturalism. The first and third of these are very good. Unfortunately, "Seven on an Island" (like "The Flying Tower" in THE SMOKING LEG) is vague to the point of frustration - to me it read like a long-winded retelling of L.P. Hartley's "Podolo". I cannot recall much about the other three, except that "Salvage" is one of those sordid slice of life stories popular at this time.

I am glad you have THE SMOKING LEG, because you can see for yourself that several of the stories not included in the Ash-Tree collection are quite good - especially the recurrent, premonitory nightmare in "Proxy", the suspense story "Paper Windmills" and the conte cruel "Crowcastle".

Date: 14 October, 2016 02:27PM
Thanks for the list of stories included in "Judas".
Proxy is a great story about a double personality, one of the best JM wrote. Vaguely, it reminds me of Berenice by Poe.
You seem to be fond of Metcalfe so I have a question; are you a native English speaker? I would like to know what an individual whose first language is English thinks of his style. I am from Czech Republic and Metcalfe´s work is sometimes hard to understand for me owing to his eccentric and artistic prose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page