Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
New to site
Posted by: mendyka1 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 June, 2004 08:43PM
Very impressive site!

I'm a recent fan of the works of CAS and am making it a mission to turn others on to his writings as well. Greetings!

Re: New to site
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2004 11:49AM
welcome - what have you read so far?

Date: 20 June, 2004 11:49AM
welcome - what have you read so far?

Posted by: mendyka1 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2004 02:09PM
Thanks!
So far I've read The Double Shadow and The Last Oblivion, the latter which gets repeated use/readings. Any suggestions for further reading? I've also read many of the poems on this site.
I've mentioned his name at used book stores but so far it's been really difficult to find anything else CAS has written.
It's my understanding he wrote for Weird Tales as well. Your opinion on those writings and where I might find some editions would be appreciated. I'm completely new to this poet but am most impressed.
Cheers!

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2004 08:51PM
Hi there!

If you go to a good used book site online, you'll find plenty of examples of his work to choose from. From personal reasons, I use abebooks (the local secondahand book is a member, and its easy for me to use), and have noticed a number of cheap editions there. You could also go to the related sites section, and get in contact with Gavin: he's knowledgable, helpful, and should be able to find most of what you need for reasonable prices.

As for recommendations, since you like his poetry, you need to get hold of his <I>Selected poems</I>. That's the main volume of his verse.

As for a list of his other works, see the bibliography here on-site; it lists most, if not all, of the editions that have appeared, and lists the various appearances for the works. Boyd also has a list of works in-print here as well. Consult that, and see what you can get.

Since I am a fan of his poetry rather than his fiction, I'm not qualified to make any real recommendations; I am also more partial to the Zothique cycle, so my tastes are further biased.

Posted by: Lychgate (IP Logged)
Date: 22 June, 2004 05:27AM
Speaking of his poetry, is there a collection of his entire poetic body (a la "The Ancient Track" for Lovecraft)?

Date: 22 June, 2004 06:16PM
There is, as yet, no collected poetic works. However, it is in production, the main hold-up, from what I can gather, being the arrangement of the works.

All I can add is that it will be in a number of volumes, and that it is highly anticipated.

To quote S. T. Joshi, one of the principals, from his website (www.stjoshi.com):

"David E. Schultz and I are contemplating a multi-volume edition of the collected poetry of Clark Ashton Smith, to include not only all the poems published in books and magazines but also unpublished poems (most of the manuscripts of these are in the Clark Ashton Smith Papers at the John Hay Library of Brown University). We have already transcribed most of the poems, and our chief concerns are now with arrangement and annotation. No publisher has been queried about this project as yet."

Posted by: Lychgate (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2004 06:25AM
Is this the one which has been worked on for years? Haha, well I hope it's completed soon. I'd be one of the first to snap them up since like you I prefr CAS's poetry to his fiction.

Date: 25 June, 2004 04:21AM
I've wanted it ever since I first heard about it. One can only wait at this stage.

As I hear of news, I'll post it up here in the forum, of course.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2004 02:55PM
Hippocampus Press will be publishing CAS' COLLECTED POEMS in 3 volumes, beginning in 2005. And there may be more good news in the offing as well. Rejoice!
Best,
Scott

Date: 27 June, 2004 07:17PM
Break out the hautboys, then! Quaff thee the nectars and salubrious wines of joy! Raise then thy voice in praise unto the very heavens, yea, sing as one in exultation at the very news which that noble wight, yclept Scott of the family of Connors, hath proffered unto us. For it is a goodly news, and welcome, pleasant news, as is a gentle rain that sootheth the ravages of a grievous drouth, a kind hand that lifteth the burthen of ignorance, and that gentle word which turneth away wrath.

In other words, you bloody ripper!

Phillip

Posted by: Steven Fama (IP Logged)
Date: 1 July, 2004 05:34PM
Scott,

Will the Hippocampus three volumes of CAS poems be done in a cloth edition?

I hope so. Lovecraft's essays, recently issueed, are so offered by this publisher, and if there's any justice so to will CAS's poems.

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 8 July, 2004 02:19AM
Halo All,

I am also new to the forum although I have been haunting this site for about a year. I found CAS online a few years ago and I have since purchased the "Selected Poems". I was also wondering what book of short stories you would recommend.

To introduce myself, I currently live in Richmond, California (in view of the Hills of Dionysos) and go to school at UC Berkeley. I have two majors and a minor which are English with a concentration in poetry and Interdepartmental Field Studies in Mythology/Ancient Religion. My minor is Creative Writing and my favorite CAS poem is 'Strange Girl.'

Like mandyka1, I have found this website extremely helpful and informative. I commend you all for your work and passion for CAS.

To get back on topic, I can't wait for the three volume set! I am sure it shall be wonderful.

Date: 8 July, 2004 08:20AM
Dear nighthalo - ada Alyccia

If LaVal's is still there, and sawdust and student carved tables
in the basement bar - down a 26ounce schooner for me -
If the Old Europe bakery is there, eat something you probably shouldn't for me
And ride the elevator at the campanile if you haven't and enjoy the archaeology -
Go up to the botanical gardens on top of the hill and wander from planetary zone to planetary zone -
Find a green and empty hill, and roll in the grass with someone you are fond of -
Visit the Bade Institute at Pacific School of Religion where you can touch antiquity found in a dig of ancient Mizpeh - provincial capital of Israel during the Babylonian captivity -
Do these things - tell me of them - and renew my youth -
Welcome to eldritch dark -

Also, take everything taught be any professor - particularly if you
think he's really good - "cum grano salis" -
Get your degree, get out of there, and live!
Dr. Farmer - class of '63,'68 and others

Date: 9 July, 2004 02:21AM
Greetings and salutations, NightHalo!

As for books of stories, may I recommend any, if not all, of the following: A Rendezvous in Averoigne, [The Double Shadow[/i], and any of the Necronomicon Press paperbacks.

I am glad to see you concentrating in poetry; do you do likewise with your creative writing?

And, may I ask, shall we have the pleasure of seeing some of your critical thoughts on CAS online at any point in the future?

In any case, from one nation to another, enjoy yourself, and may your future forum experiences be universally positive!

Phillip

Goto Page: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page