Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: New to site
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2004 05:19PM
Alycia!

As a corollary to Beowulf, I recommend that you look into Middle English as well, especially Sir Orfeo, which is is sprung rythym as well. Besides, Chaucer, Gower, the Pearl poet and the like are all rewarding in their own ways.

If you ever get your hands on Tottel's miscellany, I shall be eternally jealous...:)

Phillip

Re: New to site
Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2004 09:31PM
Dear Dr. Farmer and Phillip,

I am sure you will both be happy to know that Old to Middle English is a required course for English majors at Berkeley. It often depends on the professor how much Old and Middle English you read and I happened to get a rather enthusiastic professor who delighted in challenging us. Thus, I have read some Middle and Old English to the extent the class would offer. I think my favorite texts that we read besides the Fairy Queen and Beowulf was "Havelock" and the "Roman de Rou."

Also, I had a class, English 178, taught by professor John Niles on British and American Folklore. We spent a great deal of time reading Child's "The English and Scottish Popular Ballads." Much of this text is in Middle English or in very saturated Scottish dialect. In it, I read a "King Orpheo," although I am not sure if it is the same one you are referencing. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

~Alycia

Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page