Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dawnward Spire, Lonely Hill: The Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith
Posted by: whitelight (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2017 03:05AM
Has anyone received their copy yet of this new publication from Hippocampus Press?

Any earlier thoughts on the content?

Re: Dawnward Spire, Lonely Hill: The Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2017 04:09AM
I picked it up at NecronomiCon and have read 200 pages so far. Very interesting!

Re: Dawnward Spire, Lonely Hill: The Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith
Posted by: Ancient History (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2017 09:28AM
My copy arrived last week. I'm going to get it up on wikithulhu at some point, just been busy with the hurricane and other projects. Still, great to finally get all this stuff in one place.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 7 December, 2017 12:56PM
Does this book contain all of Smith's little illustrations that were included in Clark Ashton Smith: Letters to H.P. Lovecraft (Necronomicon Press)? I seem to recall there were some scribbled symbols right in the middle of one letter, which I cannot find in Dawnward Spire .... But perhaps I am mistaken, perhaps it was at the end of the letter?

Although I have not had time yet to immerse fully in the book, it is a beautifully produced volume.
In one letter, for example, Lovecraft presents Smith with a separate full document of his own weird fiction library, listing several authors I have never heard of before. His only volume by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, however, was The House by the Churchyard, which perhaps explains his lack of enthusiasm for this author.

Unfortunately there is a lot more letters by Lovecraft than by Smith. Not sure what Lovecraft did with those lost Smith letters. It appears that Smith's latest heartthrob, Carol, sold parts of his correspondence, to support her kids. And now collectors are sitting on those letters, refusing to share them with the rest of us.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 7 December, 2017 01:03PM
Oh, and I must say that the chosen title for the book is really excellent! At first I was a little confused, but when one muses over it, Dawnward Spire, Lonely Hill is of course absolutely perfect!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 7 Dec 17 | 01:03PM by Knygatin.

Posted by: Ancient History (IP Logged)
Date: 7 December, 2017 05:13PM
It is a good title, and lots of great material. I'm still working on correlating the letters in DS with those published in other sources - Joshi & Schultz re-dated several (and noted why, natch) so it's not as straightforward as I was hoping. Once I get that sorted, though, I can get started on the abstracts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page