Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Stefan Grabiński
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2017 09:54AM
Hello,

Does anybody know the Polish writer Stefan Grabiński? He wrote in 1910´s, 20´s and 30´s and they call him "Polish Poe" or "Polish Lovecraft". Never heard of him before. Has anybody read something by him? From what I read some books have been translated injto English.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30 Dec 17 | 09:55AM by Minicthulhu.

Re: Stefan Grabiński
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2017 12:51PM
He writes very dream-like horror, the sort of thing that insinuates indelible images into your memory, somewhat in anticipation of Ligotti's work. The best place to start is the fine collection THE DARK DOMAIN published in the Dedalus European Classics series, which offers stories from several of the the author's collections. Miroslaw Lipinski has been translating his work for decades (initially through his self-published GRABINSKI READER), though a few others have started offering translations as well.

Date: 31 December, 2017 06:12AM
Thank you very much for your answer. I´ll give him a try.

Date: 31 December, 2017 11:44AM
You are welcome. Here is the contents list from THE DARK DOMAIN:

Introduction by Miroslaw Lipinski (The Dark Domain)
Fumes
The Motion Demon
The Area
A Tale of the Gravedigger
Szamota's Mistress
The Wandering Train
Strabismus
Vengeance of the Elementals
In the Compartment
Saturnin Sektor
The Glance
Afterword by Madeleine Johnson: The Area - A Contemporary Horror Story?

"The Motion Demon", "The Wandering Train" and "In the Compartment" are all from Grabinski's collection of stories focused on railways, THE MOTION DEMON (Demon ruchu, 1919)

You may find, as I did that it takes a few stories in a row for the author's style and themes to "click", but his stories tend to be fairly brief, and this is a well-chosen introductory volume. If you like Poe, Jean Ray, or Ligotti, I think you will find a kindred (though individual) spirit in Grabinski.

Date: 13 February, 2018 02:32PM
So ...

The other day I bought and read the book you had recommended me and found him to be a marvellous author! The stories are so good that I have decided to buy more books by Grabinski. Thanks a lot for the tip :-)

Date: 13 February, 2018 11:29PM
You are welcome! I am glad you enjoyed it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page