Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Jean Ray
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2018 12:08PM
Hi,

Several days ago I came across Jean Ray, a name I had never heard of before. After reading several of his stories I must say he is a marvelous writer, chiefly "The Shadowy Street" is great. I enjoyed his tales so much I bought his novel "Malterpuis" today so I am looking forward to read it. What do you think of him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13 Apr 18 | 12:12PM by Minicthulhu.

Re: Jean Ray
Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2018 04:41AM
Ray's work is incredibly uneven, and friends who have read him in French claim that even his best stories have clumsy passages in the original language. I like several of his stories, notably "The Shadowy Street", "The Mainz Psalter", "The Last Traveller", "The Inn of Specters", and MALPERTUIS.

Date: 8 May, 2018 01:30PM
I just finished reading "Malpertuis" and yes, you are right, Jean Ray is sometimes uneven. The book is very confused, almost chaotic here and there; a long tedious passage about nothing is followed by a sentence reading of which makes you split your sides with laughter only for you to get to a column that makes a huge impression on the reader´s imagination. Now I have been able to get five or six stories he published under the nickname John Flanders in Weird Tales so I am curious what they will be like.

Date: 22 December, 2018 03:47PM
A new collection of short stories by Jean Ray is going to be published in Jaunary 2019.

[www.amazon.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22 Dec 18 | 03:48PM by Minicthulhu.

Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2018 10:22AM
Thanks!

This will be a new author to look forward to reading in the new year.

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: charaina (IP Logged)
Date: 26 April, 2020 09:50AM
Do any of Rey's stories feature unusual creatures or beings?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page