Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Weird/horror tales by Guy de Maupassant
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 11:37AM
Hello,

Does anybody know if there is an anthology or a list of complete weird/horror stories by Guy de Maupassant?

Zhank you very much.

Re: Weird/horror tales by Guy de Maupassant
Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2018 06:32PM
I can't guarantee completeness, though as far as I am aware (I have not read everything by Maupassant), but there is a collection of what at least purports to be such. The title is The Dark Side, and it bears a foreword by Ramsey Campbell. There were two earlier collections (both included here), but I've only had access to one of those. I also have a large collection of Maupassant's short stories, which includes a massive amount of material, all of the pertinent items are included in this Carroll & Graf collection. The stories are, of course, uneven, but by and large both as examples of the short tale and as weird/horror/suspense tales, they are quite good indeed.

Date: 14 May, 2018 12:43PM
Hmmm. Should have reviewed that post before hitting the button. That should be: "(though as far as I am aware, having not read everything by Maupassant, the claim seems to be accurate) there is a collection of what at least purports to be such..." When will I learn not to post when I'm already half-asleep.....

Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 01:06PM
Thank you very much.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2018 04:06PM
jdworth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmm. Should have reviewed that post before
> hitting the button. That should be: "(though as
> far as I am aware, having not read everything by
> Maupassant, the claim seems to be accurate) there
> is a collection of what at least purports to be
> such..." When will I learn not to post when I'm
> already half-asleep.....

That's funny. I was actually thinking yesterday, that your post was well written, and the essence of it very clear (especially if only the little "but" had been dropped before "there is a collection"). But I see now that you wanted to have included further subtle nuance into the post.

I myself am more primitive in the use of written words, I lack the elegance of well formulated sentences. - But still, I must say, would it not make more grammatical sense to place "the claim seems to be accurate" somewhere after "purports to be"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14 May 18 | 04:26PM by Knygatin.

Date: 14 May, 2018 05:10PM
True, it's inverted structure. As far as I'm aware, grammatically correct, if a bit archaic; the result, I suppose, of so much reading of rather older, more rhetorically and/or poetically influenced writing.... Well, that and being a dinosaur of sorts.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page