Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Donald Wandrei
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2018 02:19PM
Hi,

Does anybody know the list of horror stories by Donald Wandrei? The other day, I read "The Red Brain" and though it looked like an eccentric 1920s version of "The Masque of The Red Death" I really enjoyed it and am ready to read more by its author.

Re: Donald Wandrei
Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2018 05:21PM
"Colossus" isn't a horror story, but it's a noteworthy sense-of-wonder SF story. It made quite an impression, it seems, on C. S. Lewis -- for surely it is the work of American "scientifiction" that Lewis would have liked to acknowledge, in his fantasy The Great Divorce, although he found himself unable to remember the title and author.

Dale Nelson

Date: 14 July, 2018 02:25AM
Thank you very much for your answer.

Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2018 06:02PM
You can look up a list of his short fiction on isfdb.org. The only problem is they do not really tell you which stories count as "horror"; though from the titles I would guess that quite a few probably do.

The only story of his I have read is "The Crystal Bullet" in an old August Derleth anthology. I don't recall having any strong opinions about it one way or another.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14 Jul 18 | 06:26PM by Platypus.

Date: 14 July, 2018 06:38PM
The 14 stories he published in WEIRD TALES, which probably includes much that would be in the horror vein, are:

"The Red Brain" (1927)
"The Shadow of a Nightmare" (1929)
"The Green Flame" (1930)
"Something from Above" (1930)
"The Tree-Men of M'Bwa" (1932)
"The Lives of Alfred Kramer" (1932)
"The Fire Vampires" (1933)
"Spawn of the Sea" (1933)
"The Lady in Grey" (1933)
"The Destroying Horde" (1935)
"Uneasy Lie the Drowned" (1937)
"Giant-Plasm" (1939)
"The Crystal Bullet" (1941)
"Strange Harvest" (1953)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14 Jul 18 | 07:11PM by Platypus.

Date: 14 July, 2018 07:19PM
Just read "Spawn of the Sea". It is aquatic horror, somewhat in the style of William Hope Hodgson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14 Jul 18 | 07:26PM by Platypus.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2018 11:17PM
Look up the list of stories included in the Fedogan & Bremer collection, Don't Dream; these include essentially all his horror/fantasy tales; Colossus has his science fiction, but this at times blends quite well into the horror genre as well. The one notable piece which was not included in Don't Dream is the novel Dead Titans, Waken! (revised and published by Arkham House as The Web of Easter Island) -- an odd piece, but with some magnificent stuff to it. You might want to look up the list of contents from his Arkham House collection, The Eye and the Finger, as the majority of these, including the sf stories, are more horrific than otherwise.

Date: 15 July, 2018 09:10AM
Thank you very much for your answers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page