Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
CAS's Best Stories, In his Own Estimate?
Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2018 06:20PM
Is there any information as to which stories Clark Ashton Smith privately considered to be his best stories, later in life?

Re: CAS's Best Stories, In his Own Estimate?
Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2018 04:11AM
He thought very highly of "The Dark Eidolon" - and rightfully so. And he also thought it could have been made into a great movie.

Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2018 07:20PM
Knygatin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He thought very highly of "The Dark Eidolon" - and
> rightfully so. And he also thought it could have
> been made into a great movie.

Thanks. I rather liked "The Dark Eidolon". I would not I think have picked it as a favorite, but in retrospect, it makes sense that CAS would pick it.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2018 09:14PM
I probably like to think that "The Dark Eidolon" is CAS's best short story. I am not sure though if it was his own favorite.

There has been an earlier thread a few years back: Which of Smith's stories were his favorites? http://www.eldritchdark.com/forum/read.php?1,10164,10172#msg-10172

Posted by: Pharpetron (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2018 04:16PM
From what I’ve seen, The Door to Saturn ranked very high in CAS’s estimation. Here are some excerpts from the notes on this story from the Collected Fantasies:

The Door to Saturn was one of Smith’s favorites among his own tales, “partly on account of its literary style.” (He later remarked that “I take out the ms. and read it over, when I am too bored to read anything on my book-cases!”)

And

“The style of… this tale seemed unusually successful to me in its unity of ‘tone’.”

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page