Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Skule Skerry by John Buchan
Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2018 06:57PM
I think he was an appointed functionary to some Native American tribe(s) in Canada. Appointment by the government, apparently.

So probably not Apache...

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2018 01:39AM
Sawfish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think he was an appointed functionary to some
> Native American tribe(s) in Canada. Appointment by
> the government, apparently.
>
> So probably not Apache...

Lovecraft frequently discussed politics in-between in his letters, and Clark Ashton Smith was not completely averse to it either. John Buchan was a politician. So if there is anywhere E.D. forum members could discuss politics, I guess this thread is as suitable a place as any other. But I know how easily such discussion gets infected. Nonetheless, without getting into further and deeper arguments, I want to make it clear how very upsetting I find it what happened to the Native American Indians. Considerable sections of land should have been left alone and set off for the Natives where they were most active. I am fore a varied and multifaceted world, with respect for nations and cultures. Interchange of ideas is still perfectly possible. I am against the melting pot, and the international bankers who are behind it and enforce it.

Date: 14 November, 2018 10:38AM
I respect your decision, but would like to weigh in on the side of leaving politics at the door, so to speak.

Me, I come here to get away from the unresolved rancor I find on virtually all other forums. But as I said, do as you wish--you have every right to do.

All the best.

--Sawfish

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2018 05:45AM
Sawfish Wrote:
> I respect your decision, but would like to weigh
> in on the side of leaving politics at the door, so
> to speak.
>
> Me, I come here to get away from the unresolved
> rancor I find on virtually all other forums. But
> as I said, do as you wish--you have every right to
> do.
>
> All the best.

All well. I try my best to keep politics aside. It is better.

Do you know any other forums that discuss fantastic and weird fiction, which are good, or ok, that you can recommend, or at least have enjoyed earlier? For instance, I have never found a proper Lovecraft forum.

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2018 07:51AM
Sawfish Wrote:
> And thanks to you I now have a new author to
> consider!
>
> I'd not heard of Buchan before, but now I see that
> he had a collection (Far Islands, and Other Tales
> of Fantasy) that, if I can find it, may be an
> interesting new experience.

There has been a fairly sizeable volume collecting together the majority of his shorter supernatural tales, published in 2013. He's uneven, but quite a few are very good indeed.

Date: 15 November, 2018 10:30AM
No, and I've looked a bit for a Lovecraft site, as you mention.

Forums of all kinds are becoming increasingly adversarial. I keep moving around, trying to find a group of relatively focused, courteous commenters and this one is about as good as it gets. Because the focus is so narrow, there's relatively little traffic, but the traffic is of high quality for what amounts to a hobby forum.

--Sawfish

SPOLIERS!!! - Re: Skule Skerry by John Buchan
Date: 15 November, 2018 10:42AM
Yesterday I finally read Skule Skerry. I'd like to comment on it, specifically, and Buchan's style, in general (from what little I've seen). Replies are of course welcomed.

The story is a good example of a literary "joke", in that, to my reading, at least, there is no supernatural element present in the tale. It's more an observation on the power of suggestion.

It's quite atmospheric, and relatively short. If it were any longer it would lose narrative momentum and would be completely ineffective. In effect, it's a long joke, with a punchline that, if you had to read one or two more pages, would not be worth the effort.

Reading it one time, there seems to be an odd sterility in Buchan's style--he, as the authorial voice, does not, for me, at least, infuse the story with any personal emotion--and I'd contrast Lovecraft or Poe, here, as examples of deeply invested authorial voice.

Buchan is eminently competent in his technical skills, in my opinion, and this is at odds with the relative lack of effectiveness of the story, in that what he says is well stated, but he hasn't actually said much.

My opinions, only.

--Sawfish

Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2018 01:01PM
I appreciate this site steering away from political debate.

I'd have some interest in what,if anything, is known of CAS's politics; but then I would be more interested in knowing where he bought his shirts, pants, and shoes.

Goto Page: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page