Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011All
Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: A good weird/horror/sci-fi book to recommend
Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 8 November, 2019 05:29PM
I can recommend the Fontana Books of Great Ghost Stories, volumes 1 - 8, which were edited by Robert Aickman. These books have a great variety of high quality supernatural stories, by many different authors, all selected by Aickman.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2019 07:50AM
I took the trivial statistical effort of counting all the authors in those 8 volumes, and the number ended at 77.

Robert Aickman was well-read. I also learned at Wikipedia that Aickman was a longstanding member of the Society for Psychical Research and The Ghost Club, so I will have to admit being overly hasty and perhaps reevaluate my earlier comment about him not having any actual belief in the supernatural.

Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 01:29PM
Knygatin, I know of no reason to doubt that Aickman read widely and deeply in the field, and that the selections are indeed his. However, his name as editor doesn't guarantee that. There are anthologies attributed to famous people (e.g. Alfred Hitchcock), but the real work of reading and at least preliminary selection was done by others (eg. Robert Arthur). Aickman wasn't famous like Hitchcock, of course.

It would be interesting to know how those Fontana books were, in fact, assembled. Could be that Aickman did the work all by himself. Maybe friends who knew of his interest helped him by pointing out stories, etc.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011All
Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page