Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
CAS's Cthulhu Mythos stories?
Posted by: Pharpetron (IP Logged)
Date: 26 December, 2018 04:52PM
Several times I’ve come across (read or heard) the statement that CAS wrote “three or four Cthulhu Mythos’ tales. I’ve read every one of his stories as published in the five volume ‘Collected Fantasies’, and I can’t think of which ones would be considered as part of the Cthulhu Mythos.

I suppose The Nameless Offspring would be one. It opens with a quote from the Necronomicon, and the story plot is similar to The Dunwich Horror, but I don’t recall anything of the Cthulhu stuff mentioned in the story proper.

Hunters From Beyond is clearly similar to Pickman’s Model, but that doesn’t automatically put it in the Cthulhu Mythos.

Does anyone here know what stories these could be? I can’t figure it out, and wonder what it is I’m missing.

Re: CAS's Cthulhu Mythos stories?
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2018 04:16PM
I have found an older article on this very forum called "Disciple of Dagon: Clark Ashton Smith and the Cthulhu Mythos"

[www.eldritchdark.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27 Dec 18 | 04:17PM by Minicthulhu.

Posted by: Ancient History (IP Logged)
Date: 27 December, 2018 08:21PM
This might help: [www.oceanstar.com]

"The Return of the Sorcerer" and "Ubbo-Sathla" are definitely Cthulhu Mythos (reference to the Necronomicon), and because of their interconnections the Averoigne/Hyperborea/Atlantis/Poseidonis stories are sort of a shared setting with ties to the Mythos through Tsathoggua, the Book of Eibon, etc., much like Robert E. Howard's Conan/Kull/Bran Mak Morn/Solomon Kane stories are a kind of shared setting with ties through various references to Lovecraft's creations. Smith even traced some of the connections between his creations and Lovecraft's with his "Family Tree of the Gods"

Posted by: Pharpetron (IP Logged)
Date: 28 December, 2018 05:31PM
Thank you, Minicthulhu and Ancient History, that helps.

I see now that the answer is not very clear cut. For instance, since a few of the Hyperborean tales have Cthulhu Mythos references, it could be argued that the whole cycle fits since those tales have a shared setting.

I'll have to seek out this "Family Tree of the Gods" - I hadn't heard of it before.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page