Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Clifford D. Simak
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 5 January, 2019 01:36PM
Hi,

Does anybody know if the well-known science fiction writer Clifford D. Simak wrote horror stories?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 5 Jan 19 | 01:41PM by Minicthulhu.

Re: Clifford D. Simak
Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 5 January, 2019 01:45PM
I don't know of any supernatural horror stories by Simak (though they may exist), but various of his science fiction stories might well be considered as horror or terror tales, from portions of City (an episodic novel originally a set of short stories, as with several of his works), to "With Folded Hands", the final portion of The Humanoids... which last is certainly one of the most haunting and terrifying sf visions I've encountered. His approach is often more subtle and psychological, presenting an existential terror, but not infrequently quite effective.

Posted by: Chipougne (IP Logged)
Date: 6 January, 2019 02:37AM
Out of Their Minds (1970) cannot be considered a horror story, but (minor spoiler here) I remember that as a young Lovecraft fan I was quite surprised to see that the Great Cthulhu makes a brief but noticeable appearance in the novel.

Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 6 January, 2019 04:18AM
Thank you.

I came to know this author only a few days ago by reading his short story "The Street That Was Not" which impressed me so much I have started to look for more stuff by this writer. "City" looks really promising and has been booked. :-)

Posted by: jdworth (IP Logged)
Date: 6 January, 2019 09:46PM
I hope you enjoy it.

On another front... I need to issue a correction. Somehow (don't ask, as I really do NOT know) I managed to conflate Simak and Jack Williamson (author of The Humanoids). My comments about City stand, and there are indeed other things you might be interested in; but obviously you need to look to another author for "With Folded Hands".... As for my comments on that piece: they, also, now that the authorship is corrected, stand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page