Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Non-CAS Averogine stories
Posted by: SirNolen (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2019 11:26AM
Hoping y'all can help me out here... I'm trying to find Averogine stories written by other authors over the years (I read all of Smith's and wanted more!) So far I've identified the following:

* The Doom of Azédarac (“posthumous collaboration” by Ron Hilger)
* The Oracle of Sadoqua (“posthumous collaboration” by Ron Hilger)
* The Butcher of Vyones (by Michael Minnis)
* The Circumstances of Ghostly Cats (by Michael Minnis)
* Gros Vert (by Michael Minnis)
* Symposium of the Gargoyle (by Simon Whitechapel)
* The Passing of Belzévuthe (by Simon Whitechapel)
* Hugh the Discerning (by Garnett Elliott)
* The Return of the Colossus (by Brian McNaughton)
* The Ylourgne Accord (by Pete Rawlik)

Anyone know of any other non-CAS Averogine stories I've missed?

Re: Non-CAS Averogine stories
Date: 26 February, 2019 08:23AM
Searching through older posts here, I just found a link to this story on fanfiction.net: "The Cult of Singing Flames" by "Zimriel"

I guess I should have clarified that I'm not just looking for previously-published Averoigne stories; amateur and fan fiction stories are just fine as well. Do any of you know of any other Averoigne fan fiction stories available on the web?

Thanks!

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2019 04:41AM
Castle Amber by Tom Moldvay. It is an adventure for D&D, ... but may be read and experienced like a story, one in which you can participate.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 27 February, 2019 02:55PM
You might also find some stray bits or fragments in Strange Shadows: The Uncollected Fiction and Essays. A guaranteed good read anyway - it is Clark Ashton Smith.

Date: 14 March, 2019 02:04PM
I've managed to locate a few more, if anyone's interested:

* The Muse of Averoigne (by Ron Hilger & Henry J. Vester III)
* Cockatrice (by Michael Minnis)
* Dead Men's Bones (by Josh Reynolds)
* The Wedding of Sheila-Na-Gog (by G. Arthur Rahman & Richard L. Tierney)
* Unhallowed Ground, Unholy Fetish (by James Chambers)
* Boufonoula (by D.J. Tyrer)
* The Pink Flower of Saint Zenobie (by Aaron Hollingsworth)
* Black Arts in Vyones (by Keith Chapman)
* The Door Through the Fire (by Gary Myers)
* Lost in Averoigne (by Olivier Legrand)
* A Honeymoon in Averoigne (by Trevor O. Childers)
* She Never Killed the Spiders (by S.L. Edwards)
* The Fell Fete (by Manuel Paul Arenas)
* Clotaire of the Cross (by Colin Harker)
* The Woods of Averoigne (poem) by Grace Stillman

Posted by: zimriel (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 07:00PM
Now that Edward Stasheff at Pickman's Press has published a fairly-comprehensive collection (which - to disclose - does include mine) here follows what didn't make the cut :

* The Ylourgne Accord (by Pete Rawlik)
* Dead Men's Bones (by Josh Reynolds)
* The Door Through the Fire (by Gary Myers)
* Lost in Averoigne (by Olivier Legrand)
* She Never Killed the Spiders (by S.L. Edwards)

Rawlik's "The Ylourgne Accord", so ruled Stasheff, doesn't feature an Averoignian site - at least, not enough. Stasheff did however include "The Gargoyles of Notre Dame", set in Paris. He also included "Passing of Belzévuthe" set in Tours ("Touraine"). Both the latter are fine stories, I hasten to note. Still : it is the editor's job to draw that line, on what belongs and what doesn't. At any rate "The Ylourgne Accord" is now superceded by the novel Reanimatrix so, the discussion is moot now.

Stasheff called out "Dead Men's Bones" as one he considered, but he excluded it because (the late) McNaughton had the original Colossus for the Allies' side in the Great War. That makes it more Averoignian. Also (although Stasheff didn't make that argument) "Return of the Colossus" dates to 1995 and is, thereby, an historical monument in this genre.

Stasheff personally liked Myers' "The Door Through the Fire" - a lot. "A must-read for any true Averoigne fan". But Crypt of Cthulhu had the rights to it, which rights Stasheff was unable to secure.

Legrand's "Lost in Averoigne" contradicts Smith's vision in "Doom of Azédarac". Worse (for M. Legrand) Ron Hilger wrote an expansion that was so good that it is now the definitive edition thereof; it is in Legacy.

I don't know about Edwards.

Posted by: olegrand (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 03:08AM
Hello everybody

(I've been lurking on these forums for quite some tome but this is my first post)

Just to clarify, "Lost in Averoigne" was a very short, quickly-written, light-hearted crossover romp written for one of the "Tales of Shadowmen" anthology, which focuses on French (or pseudo-French) classic pulp characters (hence the Averoigne tie-in). Since it also features time-travel, C.L. Moore's Jirel de Joiry, Indiana Jones and Seabury Quinn's Jules de Grandin, this tale was definitely not written as a "serious" or canon-compliant story and would clearly have had no place at all in this anthology (which I look forward to reading, being a long-time admirer of CA Smith's works).

It's a very good thing this utterly forgettable bagatelle was not included (frankly, I'm even surprised that its inclusion was even considered); if I had been contacted about this matter, I would absolutely have asked NOT to re-use it!

Keep up the great work!

Olivier Legrand

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12 Nov 19 | 03:20AM by olegrand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page