Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 5
W.H.Hodgson
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 28 February, 2019 01:08PM
Hello,

Does anybody know if there is a complete list of HORROR stories by William Hope Hodgson?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28 Feb 19 | 01:08PM by Minicthulhu.

Re: W.H.Hodgson
Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2019 12:08PM
Hmmm. I can't do a complete list. I can only contribute. But since no-one else has said anything, I might as well get it started.

Novels (all are horror).
- The House on the Borderland
- The Ghost Pirates
- The Boats of the 'Glen Carrig'
- The Night Land, abridged as A Dream of X.

Carnacki Stories. (Rather comic; none too horrific):
- "The Gateway of the Monster"
- "The House Among the Laurels"
- "The Whistling Room"
- "The Horse of the Invisible"
- "The Searcher of the End House"
- "The Thing Invisible"
Also there are 3 posthumous Carnacki tales which I have not read: "The Haunted Jarvee", "The Find", and "The Hog".

Nautical "Creature Horror"
- "A Tropical Horror"
- "From the Tideless Sea", Parts I and II (Part II having various titles such as "Further News of the 'Homebird'").
- "A Voice in the Night"
- "The Stone Ship" a/k/a "The Mystery of the Ship in the Night"
- "The Thing in the Weeds"
- "The Finding of the Graiken"
- "The Mystery of the Derelict"
- "The Derelict" (this is an entirely separate story from the prior entry).

Nautical stories that are a bit weird.
- "The Shamraken Homeward-Bounder";
- "The Sea Horses".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 7 Mar 19 | 12:09PM by Platypus.

Date: 7 March, 2019 12:22PM
Thanks a lot.

Baumoff Explosive
The Habitants Of Middle Islet
The Haunting Of Lady Shannon
The Haunted Pampero
The Riven Night
A Timely Escape

The stories mentioned above may be classified as horror/fantasy/weird tales as well.

Date: 8 March, 2019 05:22PM
I've read none of those and will have to try to track them down.

Date: 8 March, 2019 05:27PM
Another than I have not read is:

- "The Voice in the Dawn" (1920); of which "The Call in the Dawn" (1967) is apparently a close variant. Both are posthumous. (I'm guessing that the 1967 version was motivated more by copyright renewal considerations than by any inadequacies in the 1920 version). It is classified among his "Sargasso Sea Stories", which would presumably make it "horror". Apparently it should not be confused with "A Voice in the Night", which I listed above, and which is not a Sargasso Sea Story.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 8 Mar 19 | 05:32PM by Platypus.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 9 March, 2019 12:26AM
"Out of the Storm"
"Demons of the Sea"
"The Island of the Ud" is nightmarish, very horrible.

Date: 9 March, 2019 03:10AM
Well, I would not say "Out of the Storm" is a horror story, though it is pretty haunting. It is the same king of tale like "Through the Vortex fo a Cyclone" which also deals with a detailed description of natural forces (which are depicted as a monster, in a way). I have never read "The Island of Ud" and "The Voice in the Dawn" so I must give them a try.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 9 March, 2019 05:07AM
Minicthulhu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never read "The
> Island of Ud" and ...
> must give them a try.

Just don't form too high expectations out of my description. That will surely ruin it. ;)

Date: 10 March, 2019 06:52PM
Here's my second attempt at a list. Note however, that it includes much material that I have not read. Since I don't believe in giving away endings, it also may include stories that have "Scooby Doo" endings (sorry).

NOVELS (all are horror).

- THE HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND (1908)
- THE BOATS OF THE "GLEN CARRIG" (1907) (Nautical)
- THE GHOST PIRATES (1909) (Nautical)
- THE NIGHT LAND (1912) abridged as A DREAM OF X (1912)

AUTHORIZED COLLECTIONS

- CARNACKI, THE GHOST FINDER (1910). A set of 6 tales featuring Carnacki the paranormal detective. Contents are:
---- "The Gateway of the Monster" (1910)
---- "The House Among the Laurels" (1910)
---- "The Whistling Room" (1910)
---- "The Searcher of the End House" (1910)
---- "The Thing Invisible" (1910)

- MEN OF THE DEEP WATERS (1914). Nautical tales. Not everything in this volume is horror, but most stories have some element of horror. Horror highlights include:
---- "From the Tideless Sea" (1914) consisting of "From the Tideless Sea (1906) and its sequel "More News of the 'Homebird'" (1908)
---- "The Derelict" (1912)
---- "The Mystery of the Derelict" (1907)
---- "The Voice in the Night" (1907)
Also perhaps worth mentioning are for horror/weird elements are:
---- "The Sea Horses" (1913)
---- "Through the Vortex of a Cyclone" (1907). This one is perhaps not even fiction.
---- "The 'Shamraken' Homeward-Bounder" (1914) a/k/a "Homeward Bound" (1908). This is best read in the context of other stories in the collection. Otherwise certain aspects might be overlooked by the reader.

THE LUCK OF THE STRONG (1916): I have not read most of this collection. I understand it is mostly nautical tales, but with less of a horror theme. However, some stories may play with fantastic themes:
---- "The Stone Ship" (1916) revised/expanded from "The Mystery of the Ship in the Night" (1914). This fits well-enough into any nautical horror themed collection.
---- "The Island of the Ud" (1912). I have not read this one. Probably has more of an adventure feel than a horror feel. But I understand it may have fantastic themes..

Note: I also read CAPTAIN GAULT (1917). I did not care for these stories, and none of them are horror.

STORIES PUBLISHED, BUT UNCOLLECTED, DURING AUTHOR'S LIFE:
- "The Goddess of Death" (1904): I think I read it, but it left little impression.
- "A Tropical Horror (1905) (Nautical). This one gets little attention, but I liked it.
- "The Valley of Lost Children" (1906): I have not read it. Not exactly horror, I'm told; but maybe a bit weird.
- "The Terror of the Water-Tank" (1907): I haven't read it.
- "Out of the Storm" (1909): I've not read it; only a description that makes it sound a bit weird.
- "The Mystery of the Water-Logged Ship (1911): I haven't read it.
- "The Albatross" (1911). I have not read it, but I've been told it "get's creepy".
- "The Thing in the Weeds" (1913) (Nautical). Sargasso sea.
- "The Finding of the Graiken" (1913) (Nautical). Sargasso sea.
- "The Haunted 'Pampero'" (1914) (Nautical). I haven't read it.

STORIES POSTHUMOUSLY PUBLISHED BY THE AUTHOR'S WIDOW
- "The Baumoff Explosive" (1919): Definitely horror, though IMHO it carries less conviction than his nautical efforts or his novels. A/k/a "Eloi Eloi Lama Sabachthani".
- "Old Golly" (1919): Haven't read it.
- "The Voice in the Dawn" (1920) a/k/a "The Call in the Dawn" (1963) is classified among the Sargasso Sea Stories, which should make it nautical horror. I have not read it.
- "A Timely Escape" (1922): Haven't read it.
- "Demons of the Sea" (1923): Haven't read it.
- "The Haunted "Jarvee" (1929) A nautical Carnacki tale. I have not read it.

SUPER-POSTHUMOUS: By now, the widow is dead, and perhaps we should be a little skeptical of new material that appears:
- "The Find" (1947): A Carnacki tale, edited by August Derleth. I haven't read it.
- "The Hog (1947): A Carnacki tale, edited by August Derleth. I haven't read it.
- "The Habitants of Middle Islet" (1962): Derleth edited this one too. I haven't read it.
- "The Phantom Ship" (1973) a/k/a "The Silent Ship". Haven't read it. I understand it is a sort of alternate ending to THE GHOST PIRATES.
- "The Riven Night" (1973). Haven't read it.
- "The Haunting of the Lady Shannon" (1975). Haven't read it.
- "The Room of Fear" (1996). Haven't read it.

OTHER
- "The Weed Men" is apparently just an except from THE BOATS OF THE "GLEN CARRIG'.
- "The Noise in the Night" is apparently just an excerpt from THE HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND. (Not to be confused with "The Voice in the Night"; or with "The Voice in the Dawn" a/k/a "The Call in the Dawn").
- "The Ghosts of the Glen Doon" (1911): I have not read it, but understand from someone's description that it might not be horror, despite the title.
- "The Dumpley Acrostics": A fragment that was expanded into "The Find"; otherwise apparently not horror. I have not read it.
- "The Crew of the Lancing" is apparently an alternate title of something, but I have conflicting information. It is either "The Phantom Ship" a/k/a "The Silent Ship"; or "Demons of the Sea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10 Mar 19 | 07:02PM by Platypus.

Date: 11 March, 2019 06:11AM
Thanks a lot for the list.

Date: 11 March, 2019 08:29AM
By the way, I can see you have not read "The Terror Of The Water-Tank" which is, in my humble opinion, one of the best stories by WHH. One can get it here.

[nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11 Mar 19 | 08:31AM by Minicthulhu.

Date: 11 March, 2019 08:59AM
Platypus Wrote:

> - CARNACKI, THE GHOST FINDER (1910). A set of 6
> tales featuring Carnacki the paranormal detective.
> Contents are:
> ---- "The Gateway of the Monster" (1910)
> ---- "The House Among the Laurels" (1910)
> ---- "The Whistling Room" (1910)
> ---- "The Searcher of the End House" (1910)
> ---- "The Thing Invisible" (1910)

Ack! I obviously cannot count to six. I left out:

---- "The Horse of the Invisible" (1910)

Date: 11 March, 2019 09:00AM
Minicthulhu Wrote:
> By the way, I can see you have not read "The
> Terror Of The Water-Tank" which is, in my humble
> opinion, one of the best stories by WHH. One can
> get it here.
>
> [nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com]
> sa-pdfs/TheTerrorOfTheWaterTankByWilliamHopeHodgso
> nWTWinter1973.pdf

Thank you!

Date: 11 March, 2019 11:27AM
You are welcome. And this site has "The Stone Ship" which is also, unlike the Sargasso sea stories or Carnacki stories, hard to get on the internet.

[www.vaultofghastlytales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11 Mar 19 | 11:29AM by Minicthulhu.

Date: 13 March, 2019 12:59PM
I just read 2 posthumous stories, "Demons of the Sea" (1923) and "The Haunted Jarvee" (1929) on Wikisource. I enjoyed them both.

My initial reaction to "The Haunted Jarvee" was disappointment. It seemed, at first, like a clumsy mash-up of CARNACKI and THE GHOST PIRATES. But the story goes its own way after Carnacki (who is perhaps not the most responsible fellow in the world) aggravates the situation through one of his occult/scientific experiments. When the story ended, I felt I had been successfully amused.

Goto Page: 12345AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page