Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Weird stories about split personality
Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 23 October, 2019 10:48AM
Hi,

Does anybody know about a good classic horror story dealing with split personality (when one does things in an altered state of mind one cannot remember later? I find this theme very interesting, or, at least, those stories about SP I have read so far are very good.

Berenice by Edgar Alan Poe (1835)
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde by Lobert Louis Stevenson (1886)
Proxy by John Metcalfe (1925)
The Thing In The Upper Room by Arthur Morrison (1910)
Master Of The Fallen Years by Vincent O´Sullivan (1921)

Re: Weird stories about split personality
Posted by: Kipling (IP Logged)
Date: 6 March, 2022 07:48PM
Minicthulhu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know about a good classic horror
> story dealing with split personality (when one
> does things in an altered state of mind one cannot
> remember later? I find this theme very
> interesting, or, at least, those stories about SP
> I have read so far are very good.
>
> Berenice by Edgar Alan Poe (1835)
> The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde by
> Lobert Louis Stevenson (1886)
> Proxy by John Metcalfe (1925)
> The Thing In The Upper Room by Arthur Morrison
> (1910)
> Master Of The Fallen Years by Vincent
> O´Sullivan (1921)

I've only read the first two of the works you mentioned. Anyway, in addition to "Berenice," Poe's "A Tale of the Ragged Mountains", while not horrific until the accidental death of Bedloe at the end, is a startlingly original treatment of the split personality idea. Bedloe's visionary experience is revealed as an inexplicable case of metempsychosis. Poe's style achieves a suspension of disbelief that the narrative would otherwise lack, and anticipates subsequent fantasy writing. C.L. Moore's "The Dark Land," (Weird Tales Jan. 1936), and HPL's "The Whisperer in Darkness" exemplify identity-transference/confusion themes with similarly abrupt endings.
-- "Then," said I mutteringly, as I turned upon my heel, "then indeed has it come to pass that one truth is stranger than any fiction-- for Bedloe, without the e, what is it but Oldeb conversed! And this man tells me that it is a typographical error." (Poe)

jkh

Posted by: Platypus (IP Logged)
Date: 6 March, 2022 09:33PM
- The Parasite, by Arthur Conan Doyle. (One of his better weird efforts, IMHO).
- The Beast of Averoigne, by Clark Ashton Smith (or are we excluding physical transformation?)
- Doom of the House of Duryea, by Earl Peirce Jr.
- The Rats in the Walls, by H.P. Lovecraft (There are similar themes in other HPL stories, but IIRC this is the only one with memory loss).

Date: 6 March, 2022 11:38PM
- The Camp of the Dog, by Algernon Blackwood

Date: 7 March, 2022 12:20AM
- We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, by Philip K. Dick.
- A SCANNER DARKLY, by Philip K. Dick.

Posted by: Ashurabani (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2022 05:42AM
A good example is "The Mystery of Evelin Delorme" by Albert Bigelow Paine

Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 7 March, 2022 10:58AM
Thank you for the tips.

Other examples are:

"From The Abyss" (1940) by Dorothy Kathleen Broster
"Statement Of Edward Chaloner" (1905) by Arthur Morrison.

Date: 7 March, 2022 01:31PM
- THE SILVER CHAIR, by C.S. Lewis

Date: 8 March, 2022 09:25AM
T.O. Mabbott's notes for "A Tale of the Ragged Mountains" show that its hodge-podge of source materials includes Charles Brockden Brown's novel, Edgar Huntly. Anyone here read it? I read Brown's earlier novel, Wieland. In synopsis Edgar Huntly sounds like an artistic improvement over Wieland. Brown was probably not as influential on Irving and Hawthorne as, for comparison, William Godwin was to the Romantic movement in England at its outset, but his influence on Poe is well known.
Mabbott quotes Sidney Lund's assertion that Poe's story, unlike "Morella," and "Ligeia," is "a case study in mesmerism", with "no metempsychotic basis," which is borne out by my rereading of this most outlandish of Poe's weird productions.
To get back on to our topic, An Exchange of Souls, a novel by Barry Pain, concerns "a transference of an Ego to a mind and body other than that with which it had previously been associated" (Pain). In the novel a man exchanges his soul with that of his fiancee. Lovecraft owned this novel, so it could have influenced "The Thing on the Doorstep". It was published by Nash in 1911, 5 years before they published Algernon Blackwood's first book, The Empty House. Pain also collaborated on a witchcraft novel, The Shadow of the Unseen, which is quite good and, who knows, may have influenced John Buchan's fine novel, Witch Wood.

jkh

Date: 10 March, 2022 03:01PM
No but I have always meant to read brown, it's just that he seems to rationalise the supernatural in most of his tales, sadly enough, and that has been slightly holding me back.

Date: 12 March, 2022 08:23AM
Ashurabani Wrote:
> No but I have always meant to read brown, it's
> just that he seems to rationalise the supernatural
> in most of his tales, sadly enough, and that has
> been slightly holding me back.

The ventriloquist trick in Wieland is absurd. Edgar Huntly may have more of the regional atmosphere going for it.

Date: 7 April, 2022 02:44PM
Another good example, sort of, is Lazarus by Henri Beraud.

Date: 8 April, 2022 11:18AM
Ashurabani Wrote:
> Another good example, sort of, is Lazarus by Henri
> Beraud.

Yes, and reminiscent of Machen's The Hill of Dreams, which I've just read for the second time. Beraud's novel struck me as melodramatic to a fault, in comparison to Machen's evocative masterpiece.

jkh

Date: 10 April, 2022 12:56PM
Haven't read the Machen yet but I found the Lazarus quite well done, and the ending was quite delicious in it's own way. Will not spoil, obviously.

Date: 13 April, 2022 03:17PM
My first thought, on reading the original post, was that the theme was such a cliche that we would have little trouble thinking of multiple examples. But we seem to find relatively few, at least among classic fiction.

So where did I get this first impression? Was it from TV shows of my childhood? I remember, for instance, and episode of THE MISADVENTURES OF SHERIFF LOBO, in which the cowardly Deputy Perkins kept switching to an alternate personality as a super-tough biker every time he received a knock on the head. And of course I recall THE INCREDIBLE HULK, starring Bill Bixby. And maybe there was an episode of GILLGAN'S ISLAND too, for all I know.

Goto Page: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page