A short collection of Clark Ashton Smith tales including:

The Abominations of Yondo
The Third Episode of Vathek
The Testament of Athammaus
Thirteen Phantasms
The Resurrection of the Rattlesnake
The Nameless Offspring
The Maker of Gargoyles

This first edition hardcover will be limited to only 600 copies and will be smythe-sewn with a full-color dustjacket and designed with the collector in mind.

---

Only 160 pages and $30 means I might not be getting it, unless I discover that the stories within are damn hard to find elsewhere (still working on getting more CAS paperbacks). Anybody have any comments on the quality of the selection and the possible quality of the texts? (That is, will they be corrected/definitive texts such as those produced in the Necro Press chapbooks?)

Roger

Re: New CAS Collection due out Fall 2004
Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 6 August, 2004 12:10PM
"designed with the collector in mind".

Not that anyone cares, or should, but those are five words that all but guarantee that I shall not be purchasing this or any book "designed" with that particular creature in mind. Just my two cents, as the cliche goes.

As for the selection, it is ridiculous. Given the relative paucity of CAS stories in print, why do the editors feel the need to waste space on a minor tale such as "The Resurrection of the Rattlesnake"? I don't mean to be churlish to anyone who wishes to repreint the works of CAS, but this seems to me to be a singularly pointless endeavor--except, perhaps, from the perspective of "collectors" and those who live to siphon these persons' bank accounts.

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 8 August, 2004 12:31PM
Oops--make that six words! lol

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 8 August, 2004 10:56PM
I agree with the above: my budget doesn't often allow self-described collector's editions, and only in the case where it's a must-have. Having just checked off all of the CAS stories I own using the bibligraphy posted here (I've gathered 60+ CAS stories in book form so far), I see I only have one of the stories in this edition. So... maybe I will buy this. I would like to get all of his fiction eventually, even the lesser tales.

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 20 September, 2004 08:58PM
In order of fairness to the publisher, I see the mentioned book is also available in paperback for $15. Or at least AMAZON lists it as such. I think they are a bit notorious for advertising books they don't have! SHOCKLINES makes no mention of a paperback version and I can't find either version at the publisher's own website!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page