Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Poems in Prose - dutch translation + glossary
Posted by: parcivalrex (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2020 08:46AM
Hi all,

Over the past few years, I've been silently but steadily working on a Dutch translation of the Poems in Prose.
I'm in the last round of editing and I expect to publish them later this year.
Are there, by any chance, other Dutch speakers on these forums ;-)

As a spin-off I have something that might interest some of you;
I noticed that the excellent glossaries by John Kipling Hitz don't cover many words and names from the PiP, so I made an overview of them from my notes for the translation.
For now, they are here;
[franknorbertrieter.files.wordpress.com]

Feedback is welcome. I'll send a more polished and final version of this list to Boyd Pearson to put on the Eldritch Dark website.

Yours,

Frank

Re: Poems in Prose - dutch translation + glossary
Posted by: Oldjoe (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2020 09:38AM
That glossary is impressive Frank, and truly useful since CAS had such a substantial English vocabulary. Thanks for sharing that!

Posted by: parcivalrex (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 01:16AM
Thanks for your kind words. It was quite a puzzle, especially old names like Caydon and Oomal. I'm still struggling with some phrases (like 'the snows of her lethal breasts') but those are more a matter of translation and interpretation.

Posted by: Kipling (IP Logged)
Date: 28 March, 2020 10:21PM
Congratulations and best wishes for your Dutch translation of the prose poems, Frank. This glossary is quite fascinating! Your interpretative insights are essential and do much to dispel the notion that Smith was himself not always sure of his own meaning, a remark a friend of mine once made.

jkh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page