Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
new
Posted by: novena (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2004 02:26AM
Hello,

I am new here; I have only heard of CAS as recently as a few months ago. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could obtain CAS books, or where to buy his works? Are there any poems I should read first? I've read December, and the short story Sadastor. Any help is appreciated, I don't know much about CAS or his literary works. thanks again!

Novena

Re: new
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2004 03:34AM
Hiya Novena!

May I recommend the following books for you to consider:

Arkham House (they've a website) -- A rendezvous in Averoigne
Wildside Press (also own website) -- The double shadow
Hippocampus Press (http://www.hippocampuspress.com/) -- a number of titles, including The Last Oblivion

Also, for books out of print, check abebooks (http://www.abebooks.com/) -- they have a selection of titles ranging from $1.40 US.

Personally, I recommend the short stories in the Zothique cycle, and starting anywhere you fancy with the poems and prose poems. You may also, when you feel up to it, consider dipping into the tributes, and the miscellaneous non-fiction material both by and about CAS.

Any questions you have for me, feel free to ask, and I will answer as best I can.

If I may, what drew you to CAS, and what have you found that inspires you to want to read more? "Sadastor" is a favourite of mine, since it has fond associations for me.

Phillip

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2004 02:46PM
The Clark Ashton Smith in Print page has a list of all books in print with links, as well as links to all the major sellers of used books.

Date: 13 August, 2004 04:50PM
Phillip-

Hi! Thanks for your help! My boyfriend was the one who got me interested in CAS; he posts here often and has submitted some tributes. Although I don't know much about CAS, I think my boyfriend can easily be compared with him. You too, of course! I've read your writings, they are amazing. Thanks for all your help!

Novena

Date: 13 August, 2004 05:00PM
Novena

It was the absolute minimum I could have done; I should thank Boyd for reminding me about the CAS in print page, which does an admirable job of tracking what's there. I tried to give my recommendations of what to purchase and look at.

May I make a further suggestion? Your partner may like to assist by sharing his favourite stories with you, and you both can chat about them, and what makes CAS' writing so special. I find that by understanding what and why someone likes a given work, one can help begin to understand, and appreciate, that person a bit more.

Thank you for your kind words about my verselets. I'm still writing, just not getting them accepted lately, when compared to my other work for the site. I would probably offer the indices as my most valuable contribution to the site.

I may be corresponding with your boyfriend, if the tributes he posted were poetry ones...:)

Ciao!

Phillip

Date: 14 August, 2004 01:04AM
Phillip-

Ah yes, my infamous partner in crime, none other than Mr. Kevin Shelton. I do believe you two have corresponded before? ;-) I think you both are amazing poets; I would never be so bold as to post my own poetry! I get enough humiliation at home, thank you very much! Feel free to instant message me sometime on AIM- novena156

See ya!

Megan

Novena

Date: 14 August, 2004 02:41AM
Hiya!

From my records, I see I'm still getting emails from him. Next time you see him say hi from me, and to expect an email soon.

I take it then that you write too? I'm sure Kevin may back me up on this, but feel free to email me your poems, so I can respond to them. For friends I do critiques, usually detailed, if they request. I've done so for another mate here.

I'm always interested in seeing people's verse, so if you've any, I won't snap or snarl or tell you they're lousy... unless they are, but I doubt that.

ciao!

Phillip

Date: 14 August, 2004 12:12PM
Hiya!

Yes, I suppose I do write a bit, I tend to draw more than write. Most of my writings are romance-themed, or death or anything I find to be amusing. I'd rather post my pictures than my writings, lol! Perhaps I may e-mail them to you and Kevin someday; I've been meaning to finish a prose piece I started ages ago. I don't mind criticism, as long as it's constructive. Hope to hear from you soon!

Later!

Novena

Date: 14 August, 2004 05:36PM
Hej!

By all means, contemplate sending in your art to Boyd. If he accepts it, and puts it up, I shall enjoy looking at it at some point.

As for your writings, I'm always positive and constructive. I like to say good and useful things about a piece where I can, and if I don't like it, I don't talk about it. I've only recently started contacting people about their poems that I like -- I got in contact with kevin that way, which you can tell him was a pleasure and honour.

I can critique more than just poetry; I can also do prose and artworks.

me

Posted by: gavinicuss (IP Logged)
Date: 19 August, 2004 12:02AM
Oh good, I'm glad to see that my old pal Phil doesn't think any of my CASmith books would be any use to recommend to anyone! In fact, I'm kind of getting tired of selling books, it's such a drag. I probably ought to go and roam the wilderness and write some poetry or something.

Gavin Smith, Bookseller
(no, never mind)
3408 Pleasant Run Road
Irving, Texas 75062-3255

sheesh!

Date: 19 August, 2004 01:28AM
Gavin!

I apologise for leaving you out of the loop, as I thought it would be so self-evident to purchase from you. I still buy from you, no?

Who's a pretty boy, then? ... ahem ....

Novena -- buy from that man, or I shall send a rodent of gigantic proportions (ie. bigger than an earwig) to squeak at you whilst you are alone with your books.

Phillip

Date: 19 August, 2004 01:44AM
Phillip

Earwigs are scary. Last time I tried to do something romantic, it involved rose petals. Unfortunately, earwigs had taken over the roses! Needless to say, I have never tried to be romantic since, lol! Oh well. My books are all dusty, I ignore them. Squeaking is frightening!

Meep!

Megan

Date: 19 August, 2004 05:34PM
Earwigs are scary? The only wig I like is Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Brilliant movie.

I have fond memories of roses and a MUD. I found out roses were edible, so, as I was a god, I possessed things and made them eat roses. It was amusing when two players set up a romantic liaison involving a bed of roses, and the mayor of the town came along and ate their roses...:)

me

Date: 19 August, 2004 05:52PM
LOL!

I love Hedwig! Since when are you a god? or a mayor? I am thoroughly confused. A mud? Now my brain is addled! Speak english, you codswaddling badger! LOL! Sorry.
I hate bugs, bleh! Anything with more than four legs I have to have someone squish for me! Yuck! You are silly.

megatron

Date: 20 August, 2004 01:25AM
MUD = multi-user dungeon; which has
mortals = players in the game; &
gods = the guys the run the show

the mayor was a creature, aka a mob, in the game; I possessed it and in the body ate the roses

I would also delight in possessing smurfs and making them wander beyond the confines of their particular area... and doing things to unsuspecting people...ooer!

Phillip

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page