Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
translations
Posted by: novena (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2004 04:59PM
I noticed there is a variety of languages under the translations area. But, my question is, why not Japanese? Perhaps it is too hard of a language to translate? I'd be willing to offer my services, I placed third in a state Japanese contest. And no, I'm not writing this post to brag, I simply have an easier time understanding Japanese and would love to see CAS in that language. Again, any help or comments offered is greatly appreciated, seeing as how I am very new here. Also, are there pronounciations for some of CAS's words? Like Zothique, Ascharia, Averoigne, Chinoiserie, Vizaphmal, Ophiuchus, etc. I am unfamilar with these and other words, and would mangle them if I tried to speak them.

Thanks so much!

Novena

Re: translations
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2004 05:06PM
Hiya Novena!

On the subject of pronunciation, you would have to determine which words are of CAS' creation, and which are not. From memory, he rhymed Zothique with 'unique'. Averoigne is of supposed French origin, so the stress is on the last syllable.

The ones not of his creation would have set pronunciations, but I usually rely on those I have guessed at from the spelling and possible derivations.

You may like to make a list of the words and send them to me, so I can have a look around for you in my spare time.

Phillip

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2004 05:52PM
AV-er-ONN to quote DSF.
there was one or two pronunciation guides in Seletect letters, if some one could extract them and post.

Zothique was rhymed with antique in something(?) I read, but of course this also rhymes with unique

Yes please on the Japanese translations, I'll email you about requirements .

Date: 13 August, 2004 07:46PM
Phillip,

Ok, thanks for the help. I thought it might be pronounced 'zo-teek'. As for the Averoigne-French pronounciation, the Dark Gods help me! My French is worse than my abysmal English! I'll just ask my boyfriend, he speaks French as fluent as English, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm working on the Japanese translations, it could take a while however; seeing as how there are so many works to translate!

See ya later!

Novena

Date: 14 August, 2004 02:35AM
Hiya!

I've found the same with the readings -- there is just so much to write about that I'm spoiled for choice each month. I'm trying as close to a systematic approach as I can, doing them alphabetically for the most part.

If you get the chance, invest in a copy of Selected Poems. There are a number of subdivisions to help you -- he has a series of miniature poems, experiments in haiku and the like, that may interest you.

I'm an idiot. Go to the bibliography here, in the miscellaneous section. Look up Selected poems (1971) in the original collections, and scroll down. You will see the poems that make up the haiku and similarly small poems listed. These should make a relatively easy start for you.

From what I have seen, your English is certainly not abysmal.

Phillip

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 August, 2004 08:07AM
Dear children:

Ascharia - ch hard, accent on the second syllable

chinoiserie - shin - wah - (z)sir - ee

vizaphmal - short i, accent on 2d syllable

Ophiucus - long o, i is "ee", accent on "u" (oo) - cuss

Just ask - I heard Clark pronounce almost all of words - some popular usages are
different than his intent, but - so what? In all cases, think the rhythym of the
sentence - there will rarely be an awkward pulse. vowels will commonly use the
European mode - ie. - "ei" is long "I" - "ie" is long "e".
"You say eether and I say Ither?" (Annie get your gun)

Date: 14 August, 2004 05:40PM
I've just gone all soft at the thought of Dr. F calling me "child". It's a good thing I'm not the sort to retort: "I'm a grown woman, dangnabbit! Stop looking at my beard!"

I suppose, compared to him we are children, but compared to us he is wisdom incarnate.

Phillip

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 August, 2004 05:04AM
I have tended to refer to all those younger than myself as "children" as an expression of affection - also I suppose when combining my chronological age with the age of my new heart I am 95 - my wife suggests adding them together and dividing by two - 47 and a half
was indeed a very good year - mercy me, memory makes my mind (and pulse) race - It is 5am at the moment - perhaps I'll return to bed for a bit (or is it bite? I forget).

Date: 16 August, 2004 09:46PM
Dr. F,

The thought of being your 'child' is flattering enough... to me, at least.

I suppose you may have second thoughts, once you've heard me in the privacy of my own home.

Phillip

Date: 17 August, 2004 01:47AM
I call everyone children, even grown men! You're never too old to act like a child.
Of course, being underage, I still am a child!

Phillip- are you implying you are an entirely different person once in your own home? Silly boy! Talk to you later, you silly boy.

Novena

Date: 17 August, 2004 02:54AM
Novena!

Yes, I behave differently in the privacy of my own home.

I talk to myself, sings bad songs even worsely, and make strange noises. I mainly talk to myself, and before you say it's the first sign of insanity, it's really too late for that now....:)

Get me with 2 or more and I tend to clam up.

Phillip

Date: 17 August, 2004 10:57AM
Phillip!

LOL! You are silly! Who doesn't talk to themself? I sing in the shower, run around my house, scream when I see bugs and other silly things. Of course I am crazy, but nevertheless. I'm far more deranged than you! I often wake up screaming, a nasty habit which will most likely force me to be single all my life, lol!

See ya!

Novena

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2004 01:59PM
novena Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phillip!
>
> LOL! You are silly! Who doesn't talk to themself?
> I sing in the shower, run around my house, scream
> when I see bugs and other silly things. Of course
> I am crazy, but nevertheless. I'm far more
> deranged than you! I often wake up screaming, a
> nasty habit which will most likely force me to be
> single all my life, lol!
>
> See ya!
>
> Novena

There is nothing crazy about talking to yourself; sometimes it's the only way one can have an intelligent conversation. However, if you address yourself as Your Royal Highness, Your Holiness, or Mister/Madame President, seek professional help.

Best, Scott

Date: 17 August, 2004 02:58PM
I only do that on Tuesdays, Scott ;)

Besides, there's nothing wrong with a high opinion of yourself, especially if you're this damn cute.

Novena

Date: 17 August, 2004 08:32PM
Believe me, I'm certifiable. Even my psych says the same thing...:)

Forget royalty... having an unholy fixation on voles is certain proof, no? And going around, saying "Listen, you damned vole..." to yourself?

And singing "The creative artist explained", with its refrain of "I'm... f*cked in the head"?

I'm going to stick my paw in my jacket, and say "Not tonight, Josephine" to a potato.

me

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page