Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Emperor of Dreams
Posted by: Francis D'Eramo (IP Logged)
Date: 2 April, 2002 10:21AM
I just got the paperback "Emperor of Dreams" from Amazon UK. I mistakenly thought that it was a reprint of the Donald Sydney-Fryer bibliography, but it is instead a collection of short stories that have appeared in the Arkham House books or the Neville Spearman reprints. Had I looked on this site in the CAS In Print section, I could have saved myself the postage from the UK to the Virgin Islands.

Re: Emperor of Dreams
Posted by: Derrick Hussey (IP Logged)
Date: 2 April, 2002 11:26AM
It was rather short-sighted of them to select this title. Still, it is a handsome collection. I don't have the Arkham House books any more, and never had the Neville Spearman reprints.

I think I heard that the DSF book is being revised for a future edition. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this?

Derrick

Posted by: Ron Hilger (IP Logged)
Date: 2 April, 2002 10:22PM
I'm not sure about "Emperor of Dreams" but I do know that Donald Sidney-Fryer has a new collection of poetry to be published by Wildside Press. "Songs and Sonnets Atlantean: the second series" contains many excellent poems in the classic romantic style, including one narrative poem in blank verse which is around eighty pages long. Titled "A Vision of a Castle Deep in Averoigne", this poem is unlike anything I've read before: a unique melding of narrative prose and poetic style that is an innovative masterpiece. Not directly related to CAS' Averoigne, but set in Sidney-Fryer's own concept of this realm, both mediaeval and contemporary.
_Ron

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2002 11:14AM
I read through THE EMPEROR OF DREAMS (the DSF book) over the weekend. Nice work by Fryer, but at this point it could certainly use some updating.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 23 June, 2002 07:56PM
An update is in the works, but it will have to wait until the CAS letters are out from Arkham and I'm finished writing my bio of CAS. Best,
Scott

Date: 30 June, 2002 07:18PM
Any estimated date of completion for the biography?

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 2 July, 2002 12:48AM
First things first. Once SL is done, I can concentrate on completing the bio. I have completed a rough draft on the early years, but am a little hung up discussing the years of his apprenticeship under Sterling. The problem is one of condensing vast amounts of information into a compact form. There are also a couple of literary theories floating around that I need to master in order to apply them to CAS' work. I'm basically taking a cross between I. A. Richards and Northrop Frye in my approach: conservative but still valid.
Good to see that you're still around, Francis. We've missed you over at Zothique Nights.
Best,
Scott Connors

Date: 2 July, 2002 10:05AM
Thank you for the welcome, Scott. What is "SL?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page