Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Was A. Merritt the greatest fantasist of all time?
Posted by: Geoffrey (IP Logged)
Date: 31 October, 2020 12:35PM
Where can I find copies of the original magazine versions of "The Face In the Abyss" and "The Snake Mother"?

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 31 October, 2020 02:02PM
Geoffrey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where can I find copies of the original magazine
> versions of "The Face In the Abyss" and "The Snake
> Mother"?

Most likely on ABE-books or Ebay.

Or download them as pdf files:
The Face in the Abyss in Famous Fantastic Mysteries, October 1940
The Snake Mother in Fantastic Novels Magazine, November 1940

Date: 31 October, 2020 04:42PM
Thank you for the links! I look forward to comparing them to my paperback copy of The Face in the Abyss.

Even considering only my Merritt paperbacks, he is definitely one of my favorites.

Date: 3 November, 2020 11:01AM
Do we know what Merritt's involvement was in the altering of his originally-published texts? Did he himself do the alterations? If so, did he consider them improvements, or did he grudgingly make alterations at the behest of the book publishers?

Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 17 December, 2020 03:26AM
Yesterday I finished "The Metal Monster". Most of it is nothing but a mad orgy of descriptions of colours and shapes and movements, with all the cubes and pyramids and balls arranging and rearranging themselves, and all the cones and discs sucking their energy from our sun, and all the crazy atmospheric phenomena. I enjoyed the book though it has its weak points (like many other books, of course). Personally, I would do without Norhala, Yuruk or Cherkis and his City; they were disturbing elements for me and the story would be much better without them. A bunch of explorers discovering something beyond human knowledge, a metal entity of unknown oirigin, without any fantasy twists with an enigmatic woman and medieval armored warriors with their catapults and bows, that would be an ideal scenario for me. But like I said, I enjoyed it, it has its cosmic moments and it is plainly seen why Lovecraft loved it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17 Dec 20 | 03:27AM by Minicthulhu.

Goto Page: Previous123All
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page