Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 5
What is the single greatest weird tale?
Posted by: Kipling (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2020 12:52PM
Without going into any sort of nominations, I would be interested in hearing forum commentators explain their choices for the one (no "ties" please) all-time finest macabre/weird short story or novelette ever written. I think it's "The Death of Halpin Frayser" by Ambrose Bierce. More than any other author's masterpiece one might select, Bierce's can be endlessly reread with undiminished appreciation. It has the strongest opening, a masterfully descriptive treatment of landscape and weather, a shifting psychological narrative technique, and stark physical horror, with the greater horror left to the reader's imagination as in the best of Arthur Machen. --"I would say that he who has any traffic with the affairs of the imagination has found out all the wisdom that he will ever know, in this life at all events, by the age of eighteen or thereabouts"-- Machen, "Far Off Things"

jkh

Re: What is the single greatest weird tale?
Posted by: Dale Nelson (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2020 01:08PM
Machen's "The White People" is my choice for the greatest weird tale in English. It is one of the very few weird tales that really has "creeped me out." Its lonely landscapes have permanently affected my imagination. Its folkloric and antiquarian aspect is haunting. I don't entirely like it.

I don't have time for a thorough commentary on it. I think it is susceptible of a Christian interpretation. It reminds me of Tolkien's late story of about the same length, Smith of Wootton Major. It is an eerie story; then a shocking one; finally, a sad and sobering one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27 Oct 20 | 01:18PM by Dale Nelson.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2020 04:49PM
"The Shadow Over Innsmouth". Not consistently, but at its best moments it gets me completely convinced in its vision. And it has the greatest and most beautiful ending of any story I have read, with a complete surrender to the weird.

Posted by: Minicthulhu (IP Logged)
Date: 29 October, 2020 12:03PM
I have tried to ask myself the question several times before but the answer is it is absolutely impossible for me to name just one story. There is a bunch of tales I have a soft spot for ("Horla", "At The Mountains of Madness", "The Derelict", "The People of The Pit", "The Willows", "The Novel of The Black Seal", "The House of Sounds", "The Wind In The Portico", "Genius Loci", "All Hallows", "The Spider" etc, etc.) but I am unable to say if this one is better than that one.

Date: 29 October, 2020 01:10PM
Minicthulhu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have tried to ask myself the question several
> times before but the answer is it is absolutely
> impossible for me to name just one story. There is
> a bunch of tales I have a soft spot for but I am unable
> to say if this one is better than that one.

How about favorite one, rather than best one? That is probably easier. The story that most frequently comes back in memory, and persistently knocks on the inner door of exalted curiosity.

Posted by: Geoffrey (IP Logged)
Date: 31 October, 2020 11:28AM
"The White People" by Arthur Machen is my favorite.

While other stories tell the reader about the weird, "The White People" is itself an artifact of the weird. It's as though the reader is holding in his hands a thing that should not exist in a sane world.

Posted by: The Sojourner of Worlds (IP Logged)
Date: 2 November, 2020 12:27PM
Quote:
The Last of All Suns by John C. Wright

We are lost in endless and titanic halls of windowless metal. Some of the things pursuing us are so large that, to them, even these halls are cramped, and the miters of the crawling sphinxes scrape flakes of debris from the expanse of black plate above.

I say we are aboard a ship. The other men resurrected from the Archive disagree. Some think we are in hell, or in a fairy-mound, or suffering the hallucinations imposed by the thinking-machines of futuristic science.

Of all of us, the man from the latest period of humanity was from AD 29,000,000, some twenty-nine million years after my death. He came from an age long after the sun had died, a terror-haunted world of eternal darkness. His home was a titanic fortress called the Last Redoubt, a structure hulled against the infinite cold of a sunless sky, nursing its life on the last few embers of dying geothermal and geomagnetic heat. His name is Ydmos of Utter-Tower. Ydmos thinks this vessel is a redoubt like his, one long ago captured by the enemy, and that we are all buried far underground.

Even his era is uncountable years lost, compared to this present one.

Posted by: Ashurabani (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2020 01:46PM
"The Last Generation" by James Elroy Flecker, hands down.

Posted by: Avoosl Wuthoqquan (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2021 10:31AM
Here's another, albeit belated, vote for Arthur Machen's 'The White People'.

Posted by: John Shirley (IP Logged)
Date: 17 June, 2021 12:53AM
I haven't read John C. Wright or The Last Generation by Fletcher, that I can recall. Must try them.

One shouldn't forget The King in Yellow.

I agree that The White People is right up there.

The City of the Singing Flame by Clark Ashton Smith seems to me to be of epochal importance.

If you're accepting novels, THE HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND by Hodgson was very influential and is a sort of tour de force of weird tale-telling.

Date: 17 June, 2021 06:55AM
Short story: "The Derelict" by William Hope Hodgson.
Novel: "The House On The Borderland" by William Hope Hodgson.

But I must say it is a very tough and insidious question that is hard to answer. It is like asking you about which one of your children you love most. :-)

There are scores short stories and novels that come to mind if someone asks me what is the single greatest wierd tale of all times. "The House Of Sounds" by Shiel, "Terror" by Machen, "Horla" by Maupassant, "Spider" by Ewers, "At The Mountainms Of Mandess" by Lovecraft, "Genius Loci" by Smith, "The Republic Of The Southern Cross" by Brusov, "Dr. Cinderella‘s Plants" by Meyrink, "The Area" by Grabinski, "The Dark Chamber" by Cline, "The People Of The Pit" by Merritt,"The Badlands" by Metcalfe, "Animate In Death" by Lewis and so on and so on and so on ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17 Jun 21 | 06:55AM by Minicthulhu.

Date: 17 June, 2021 07:02AM
Oh my God, I answered the question last autumn and forgot about the fact so the answer I made today is virtually identical with that I wrote back then ... But, at least, it shows my viewpoints in this matter are very consistent. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17 Jun 21 | 07:02AM by Minicthulhu.

Posted by: Avoosl Wuthoqquan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2021 07:37AM
No worries, Minicthulhu: I was about to pitch in with ‘The White People’, but discovered only just in time that I had already done so.

I recently unearthed some comics that I wrote and drew as a teenager in high school. I was delighted to discover that most of the (terrible) jokes I made back then could still make me laugh.

Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2021 08:03AM
Avoosl Wuthoqquan Wrote:
> No worries, Minicthulhu: I was about to pitch in
> with ‘The White People’, but discovered only
> just in time that I had already done so.
>
> I recently unearthed some comics that I wrote and
> drew as a teenager in high school. I was delighted
> to discover that most of the (terrible) jokes I
> made back then could still make me laugh.

HAH! :^)

--Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The food at the new restaurant is awful, but at least the portions are large."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: 18 June, 2021 10:34PM
Geoffrey Wrote:
> ... "The White People" is itself an artifact of
> the weird. It's as though the reader is holding in
> his hands a thing that should not exist in a sane
> world.

That must be the ideal for a weird story. The purest goal for every serious weird author to strive for.

Goto Page: 12345AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page