Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
A Look Behind The Derleth Mythos
Posted by: Frederick (IP Logged)
Date: 25 June, 2013 12:31PM
A Look Behind The Derleth Mythos by John D. Haefele is much more than a Lovecratian venture. Fans of CAS will find much to enjoy in this fantastic volume as it can be argued that Derleth, besides keeping Lovecraft's name and work alive before the public, he did the same for Clark Ashton Smith! Inside Haefele's book, one will find material that reveals much of Smith's personal views, not to mention, insightful examples on how loyal Derleth was to him and the lengths Derleth went to to promote Smith and his works/art. This is a definite must read for fans of the Emperor of Dreams as well!

Frederick J. Mayer

Re: A Look Behind The Derleth Mythos
Date: 27 June, 2013 06:09PM
After I posted such a like comment refering to A Look Behind The Derleth Mythos, Scott Connors had this to say:" My opinion of Derleth has improved greatly over the years as the extent of his many kindnesses to CAS became apparent to me."

Posted by: Gill Avila (IP Logged)
Date: 27 June, 2013 06:48PM
Too bloody expensive!!

Date: 28 June, 2013 04:57PM
True, it is expensive, but well made books nowadays seem to be...the book is truly full of very interesting and insight informatuion, pictures and a look at a personal side of several people involved with the Mythos, especially Smith. It seems Derleth was often in contact with him and asked for his review/comments upon his stories. Besides the general information or thrust of this work, it is quite interesting to see how CAS reacted to the Cthulhu Mythos and his thoughts on it. Physically the book is a really finely made volume. The book is actually worth the $60 tag. Hopefully though a paperback version will be eventually released as more people should be able to get a chance at reading this fascinating book :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page