Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
RIP Richard Corben
Posted by: Oldjoe (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2020 09:22AM
Sad news about the passing of the great comics illustrator Richard Corben:

[www.syfy.com]

He did several illustrations for stories by CAS, such as "The Empire of the Necomancers":

[www.eldritchdark.com]

...and he also did full comics adaptations of a couple of CAS' Mars stories, such as "The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis":

[www.eldritchdark.com]

I love his adaptations of works by Lovecraft and Poe as well, not to mention an incredible version of Hodgson's "The House on the Borderland". He will be missed!

Re: RIP Richard Corben
Posted by: Ancient History (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2020 09:26AM
A legend. He will be tremendously missed.

Posted by: Knygatin (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2020 01:04PM
I am very sad to hear this. Richard Corben was one of the greatest and most generous artists ever.

Posted by: Cathbad (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2020 06:43PM
I remember Corben's work well - maybe from Uncle Creepy/Vampirella/Eerie? There was a guy who used to sell old copies of all three from a stall on O'Connell Street in Dublin, back in the day. Bernie Wrightson would have been another big name around then, bigger maybe than Corben, but if Wrightson's style was traditional (albeit impressive) Corben's style was uniquely his own. That said, I never saw his CAS-inspired work.

Posted by: Sawfish (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2020 11:59AM
Apropos weird illustration, has anyone read "Sticks" by Karl Edward Wagner?

What did you think of it? Do you think it maybe influenced "Blair Witch Project" and other subsequent works that feature inexplicable rustic artifacts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.

"Barbecue grills on fire behind the condominiums that line the 9th fairway. I watched casual strollers slip on dog excrement on the boardwalk near the amusement pier.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

"Time for lunch."

--Sawfish

Posted by: Oldjoe (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2020 03:12PM
Sawfish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What did you think of it? Do you think it maybe
> influenced "Blair Witch Project" and other
> subsequent works that feature inexplicable rustic
> artifacts?

"Sticks" is a fun story, and I'd have a hard time believing that it wasn't an influence on "The Blair Witch Project"!

I know the creators behind the HBO show "True Detective" have acknowledged that KEW's story was an inspiration for their first season.

Posted by: Cathbad (IP Logged)
Date: 12 December, 2020 07:12PM
I guess boundary markers are a good way of establishing that the mc is crossing from the familiar and the everyday into the strange and the inexplicable? A recent film ‘The Endless’ (which I’d heartily recommend) has a similar motif - the characters stop at a roadside memorial (to their mother, apparently) en route to visiting the cult where they grew up.

Posted by: DrWho42 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 December, 2020 08:24PM
rip!

Posted by: Ken K. (IP Logged)
Date: 10 January, 2021 04:01PM
Thank you for posting on the passing of Comics great Richard Corben. I completely missed this news back in December.

I never met the man, but his work has fascinated me since I first glimpsed it in National Lampoon back in 1977 (a preview of the forthcoming first issue of Heavy Metal). I was 15 years old and had never seen anything similar to his potent mix of exoticism, violence and sexuality.

I'm almost 60. I should not be surprised at people (even famous/admirable/talented/influential people) dying (and, after all, I never met them and had no personal relationship with them). This happens all the time. Diana Rigg, Terry Pratchett, Neil Innes...Good God, I even knew Terry was failing! So why does every sudden obituary still hit me like a blow to the heart?

Thank you, Richard, for sharing your dreams and nightmares with us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page