Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The House on the Borderland First edition Value?
Posted by: Intercessor (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2004 06:03PM
I operate a bookstore online via abebooks.com I recently purchased a LARGE sci fi collection and I am starting to list the books now. I have a nice first edition with jacket "The House on the Borderland" by Hodgson but cannot find a value. There are none for sale online at any of the bookseller websites. Hopefully someone can help. I also cannot find a value for "Something Near" by August Derleth. This collection I bought has an extensive amount of HP Lovecraft, Arkham House, Gnome Press books. It also has hundreds of vintage horror books. Unfortunately it will take me 2 years minimum to do the data entry to list all for sale. Do a search on abebooks for my bookstore " Chuck's Rare Sci Fi" and you will be able to browse my store. Check back often I plan to do scans of all these books as I list them. Any requests please ask, I price fairly and am very honest with grading.

Thanks
Chuck V

Re: The House on the Borderland First edition Value?
Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 18 September, 2004 12:35AM
So... do you have any Clark Ashton Smith in that collection?

Date: 18 September, 2004 08:15AM

Yes, I will not have all the books for a couple of weeks. (There are approx. 20,000 books in the collection). I brought back 2 boxes with me and so far I listed "Out of Space and Time" Arkham House 1942 first edition in Almost fine/Almost Fine condition. I can send a pic if you would like, it is in very nice condition. I know there is more CAS in the collection. I will make a trip in 2 weeks with truck and trailer to get the rest. I will seperate out the CAS as I am packing them to list quickly. I have already listed about 10 Lovecraft books.

And yes, I paid quite a bit for these books. I gave a check for a deposit, was allowed to take 2 boxes of books, am selling stock to raise the rest of the funds so I can get the rest. Did you browse my bookstore?
Thanks!

Date: 18 September, 2004 09:12AM
I also found "Lost Worlds" Arkham House in what I brought to my house. Very nice, no chips or tears to jacket, only very mild edgewear. Email me at
intercessor_2003@yahoo.com if interested.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2004 01:04AM
When you say that you have a copy of Hodgson's "The House on the Borderland" in dj, do you refer to the Arkham House edition or to an earlier, British edition? There are several copies of the Arkham House available on line, but I would say that an early British edition would be something quite special, especially with a dj--maybe around $1000 or so depending upon specifics. Also, Derleth's "Something Near" is not that hard to find. I found over a dozen on-line at Bookfinders.com, ranging in price from $65 on up, depending upon condition and little extras like Augie's signature.
Good luck.
Scott

Date: 22 September, 2004 07:01AM
Yes, when I looked those two books up, something must have been temporarily wrong with ABE. It showed none for sale. I went back 2 days ago and plenty of each were found.

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page