Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
CAS books needing a good home
Posted by: brianlavelle (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2004 12:05PM
Sorry for the intrusion folks.

It pains me horribly to announce this, but as a result of some fairly imminent and extensive house repairs, I'm having to let a lot of my prized CAS collection go. A number of items are on eBay at present and much as I would love to hold onto them all, it's just not going to be possible. At the moment, there are lovely copies of the Arkham House Genius Loci, Selected Poems, Poems in Prose, Tales of Science and Sorcery and Other Dimensions. There are also a few other odds and ends. I may even be forced to sell my beautiful signed and dustjacketed copy of The Star-Treader and Other Poems too. :-( You can't take them with you, I suppose...!

If anyone is interested, the items can be found here:
[cgi6.ebay.co.uk]

If that links doesn't work, you could search under my seller name (star-treader).

Apologies for the nature of this message. I'd rather not be selling at all, but...

Best wishes,
Brian

Re: CAS books needing a good home
Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2004 09:14PM
Ah.. I've already noticed those on eBay. Too bad you have to part with them! Hopefully you'll at least keep, or buy, reading copies of CAS. That's pretty much all I can afford myself. I think CAS is pretty hot right now on eBay, so I predict you'll do very well with these. I'm eyeing a few of the Necro Corrected Texts, but even those will probably climb higher than I can afford!

Good luck,
Roger

Posted by: brianlavelle (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2004 03:13PM
Thanks for your sentiments, Roger - I should be able to keep some paperbacks, as I wouldn't be without the stories and poetry, but it's not the same as holding the "real thing" in your hands. I shall miss these books, that's for sure!

Perhaps one day the definitive CAS from Arkham House... A dream away, no doubt.

Brian

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2004 07:22PM
brianlavelle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Perhaps one day the definitive CAS from Arkham
> House... A dream away, no doubt.
>

Nothing would make me happier! A complete, collected CAS, ala the Arkham Lovecrafts.

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2004 02:02AM
I reckon what's needed more than a standard edition, is an authorised edition, with, as far as is possible, unexpurgated texts, and unmodified texts restored.

I'd vote for something more affordable than Arkham House, for those on a strict budget, like myself.

P

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2004 08:46AM
I am in agreement with Phillip. It's long past time for CAS and his works to outgrow the fan ghetto. Not only do we need editions along the lines of what Phillip suggests, but ones with scholarly annotations, as well. One unfortunate outgrowth of this proposal is that such volumes are likely to be rather expensive. On the other hand, the prices could hardly be more egregious than those on offer on eBay, or from the average "pre-owned" book dealer.

Date: 29 September, 2004 05:48PM
Even something along the line of the two annotated volumes of Lovecraft would be welcome. Certainly, an authoratative text, in reasonably affordable paperbacks, shouldn't be too much of a problem; emulating S. T. Joshi's acheivement with the Penguin Lovecrafts should be something we can aim for.

P

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 29 September, 2004 06:53PM
I was thinking more along the lines of hardcover books, but, yes, I agree that the "Penguin model" would be a fine one to follow, as well--not that I think that $13.00 USD for a paperbound book is a reasonable price, mind you, but it is at least affordable. What is important, I think, is to get such authors as Lovecraft and CAS free from the exclusive tentacles of fantasy/horror fandom.

Date: 30 September, 2004 12:57AM
With CAS, it may be an easier proposition. Verse in general is easier to grasp, in its way, than the various fields of activity that HPL attempted. It may be easy with their letters, in a way, if we can get enough assembled in the right way, and as unabridged as is possible. I feel both have suffiecient interest to sustain popular editions of their letters, more accessible than the Arkham House versions.

I've not mentioned the tales, given that these are the least likely of their products to appeal to a non SF or weird literature reading public. That is, these shall more likely than not remain ghettoised than their other literary productions.

P

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 30 September, 2004 01:12AM
voleboy Wrote:
> I reckon what's needed more than a standard
> edition, is an authorised edition, with, as far as
> is possible, unexpurgated texts, and unmodified
> texts restored.
>
> I'd vote for something more affordable than Arkham
> House, for those on a strict budget, like myself.
>
> P

:D Heh heh heh

Scott

Date: 30 September, 2004 01:14AM
voleboy Wrote:
> Even something along the line of the two annotated
> volumes of Lovecraft would be welcome. Certainly,
> an authoratative text, in reasonably affordable
> paperbacks, shouldn't be too much of a problem;
> emulating S. T. Joshi's acheivement with the
> Penguin Lovecrafts should be something we can aim
> for.
>
> P

We've looked into doing a Penguin Smith, but the editor there at present is not convinced of CAS' merit. However, we are at work in changing this.

Scott

Date: 30 September, 2004 01:15AM
voleboy Wrote:
> With CAS, it may be an easier proposition. Verse
> in general is easier to grasp, in its way, than
> the various fields of activity that HPL attempted.
> It may be easy with their letters, in a way, if
> we can get enough assembled in the right way, and
> as unabridged as is possible. I feel both have
> suffiecient interest to sustain popular editions
> of their letters, more accessible than the Arkham
> House versions.
>
>
Now you've gone and hurt my feelings! :(

Scott

Date: 30 September, 2004 04:47PM
Scott,

please don't get me wrong, you've done a fine job with Arkham House. The question I'm trying to address is affordability versus quality.... I can't afford the Arkham House edition, but a paperback selection of letters could be easily affordable to me. I have a limited budget, due to being on a disability pension, and too much important things, like rent, bills and food, to spend my money on. Books become a luxury.

So there's a measure of self-interest here.

There's a place for Arkham House, yes, and that's fine when you want quality, durability and attractiveness; I need accessibility and ease of access more than that.

I sorrow that your feelings have been hurt thuswise; it was farthest from my mind that you would be aggrieved thuswise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page