Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
"The Genesis Mausoleum" (plagiarism of CAS)
Posted by: Ancient History (IP Logged)
Date: 26 March, 2020 04:19PM
For anyone that might be interested, a review/analysis of a notorious case of a new author plagiarizing Clark Ashton Smith's "The Seed from the Sepulcher":

[deepcuts.blog]

There's an ED connection too, as I suspect - although it's difficult to prove - that the text for the story was lifted from this very website, before it was altered.

Re: "The Genesis Mausoleum" (plagiarism of CAS)
Posted by: zimriel (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 01:34PM
Quote:
Ancient History
For anyone that might be interested, a review/analysis of a notorious case of a new author plagiarizing Clark Ashton Smith's "The Seed from the Sepulcher":

Quote:
greyirish
Nothing to much change the plot, but substantial enough to make me wonder if these were all her own changes, or the reflection of a different textual tradition.
While we like to think of stories as being “a text,” the facts are rarely that simple. Writers often create drafts and synopses before the final manuscript, which may be submitted, rejected, revised, re-submitted, accepted, copy-edited, published, corrected, and re-published. In the pulps especially, stories may be cannibalized and re-written, so that that a single story may have many different textual variations—some of which might be relatively minor (misspellings or odd punctuation) and some of which might be substantial (an editor re-wrote the last paragraphs to change the ending).

Here's something frightening: I nearly did just that myself, late last year. Flush from "Cult of the Singing Flame" I rooted around this site and found the synopsis for "Crabs of Iribos". Just when I started to flesh this one out I ran across "Master of the Crabs" - clearly the finished work. D'OHH

I mean, I would of course have declared that I'd based my version off the synopsis, because I'm not a thief; but it still would have been embarrassing. Especially if what I'd done wasn't as good as what the author himself would have done (which it wouldn't have been).

So I contented myself with Feet of Sidaiva. I am pretty sure Smith didn't ever touch that one.

Posted by: zimriel (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 01:36PM
On topic: anyone else think that "The Witchcraft of Ulua" is cannibalised from "Tower of Istarelle"? Both involve (or would have involved) some sorceress gaslighting a simple pious outsider. "Ulua" is Zothique, so full of necromancy, but the basis feels more Averoignard.

Posted by: Ancient History (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 03:45PM
I wouldn't say cannibalized, but definitely similar in theme, cf. "The Demoiselle d'Ys" (Chambers), "The Door in the Wall" (Wells), and "Three Lines of Old French" (Merritt).

Posted by: kojootti (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 11:57PM
zimriel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I contented myself with Feet of Sidaiva. I am
> pretty sure Smith didn't ever touch that one.

Wow. Most CAS fans are abysmal at weaving prose, but here you write it so fluidly. How did you gain this skill? I've always been so bad at it and could never find truly helpful information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31 Mar 20 | 11:58PM by kojootti.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page