Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
An important qns on Smith's interest in Sufism
Posted by: Benocles Czar (IP Logged)
Date: 2 November, 2004 08:14PM
Ladies & Gents,

Currently, I am undergoing a course entitled "Myth, Ritual & Magic" and have found it to be one of the most interesting classes I have enrolled in, during my time at University. One of the areas we studied, was SUFISM. While reading over this system of belief, for some unexplained reason, I though of Clark Ashton Smith. It felt like something he would read about, especially the Sufi poets. I began to wonder if it had influenced some of his own poetry...

Well, lo and behold, a search at this site and it seems my instinct was correct. Smith knew about Sufism, for, in a postcard dated May 1934 to friend H. P. Lovecraft reveals;

"Price went back to Oakland, after several sessions under the mystic oak, and initiations into the technique of gold mining. Hope he will be up this way again presently. Our bousing was more of the Sufi order than you may have inferred from our joint card. [. . .] Am meditating a gruesome yarn on modern necrophagy -- either as inherited blood-taint or successive demoniac possession".

So, I am interested... what is this story that Smith is talking about (out of pure interest as it doesn't seem to conform with Sufism), but more importantly, does anyone know if Smith talked about Sufism elsewhere? I'd be very interested to know.

Thank you for your time, gentlewo/man and scholars...

Cheers
Benjamin

Re: An important qns on Smith's interest in Sufism
Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 3 November, 2004 06:15PM
I am also interested in this as it pertains to my fields of study.

I do know that CAS had an early love for things from the Near East- as evinced by his love for the Arabian Nights and work such as Beckford's Vathek and Rudyard Kipling's tales. Mention of this is listed here in Principal Facts of Biography by Donald Sydney-Fryer:

[www.eldritchdark.com]

Also, the poem to Omar Khayyam is indicative of this love. However, I do not know to what extent he had a knowledge of Sufism in particular. I assume he probably came in contact with it early on, but this is where my knowledge is limited to.

Anyone with more info, please let us know as I am very interested as well

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 4 November, 2004 08:19PM
Insofar as i can recall, the "sufi pipkin" pot in Omar khayyam is the only mention I ever heard from Clark - However, I can assure you, that a "spiritual" dimension of Islam consisting of a seemingly endless array of orders, and Shayks to follow and learn from - and indeed a thing requiring "belonging" or membership, open adherence, some sort of specific commitment of time and energy, and submission to spiritual mentors is something from which Clark would run, not walk to the nearest exit.
Dr. Farmer

Date: 7 November, 2004 07:44AM
I figured out the link, even though small: Omar Khayyam.

I shall see what I can do with this...
:P

Cheers
Benjamin S.

Posted by: arch_drakerose (IP Logged)
Date: 8 November, 2004 02:50PM
i myself have been lately researching the many lists of books and texts that mention smith, nothing ive found so far is of any help in my research. ive come to an understanding that ther is mor information but with limited resources i do not have the time to look, might one request the help of this forum? it would be much appreciated.

sincerely
zen storm gun rave
aka drake

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 30 November, 2004 09:17PM
NightHalo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am also interested in this as it pertains to my
> fields of study.
>
> I do know that CAS had an early love for things
> from the Near East- as evinced by his love for the
> Arabian Nights and work such as Beckford's Vathek
> and Rudyard Kipling's tales. Mention of this is
> listed here in Principal Facts of Biography by
> Donald Sydney-Fryer:
>
>
>
>
> Also, the poem to Omar Khayyam is indicative of
> this love. However, I do not know to what extent
> he had a knowledge of Sufism in particular. I
> assume he probably came in contact with it early
> on, but this is where my knowledge is limited to.
>
>
> Anyone with more info, please let us know as I am
> very interested as well

Remember that Clark read through the 1911 Britannica at least three times, along with at least one other encyclopedia. A good guess as to his knowledge of sufism could probably be found by checking what the Britannica had to say on the subject. I have his copy of the Arabian Nights, and it is not an annotated edition nor one even with a good introduction.

"To Omar" won CAS a prize from THE LYRIC WEST, along with extensive praise from Henry Anderson Lafler, the SF businessman and literary figure over whom Nora May French committed suicide.

Best,
Scott

Date: 30 November, 2004 09:34PM
Scott,
Thank you for taking the time to answer this interesting question. Your reponse seems very logical to me and it reminds me of when I used to read the encyclopedia for fun as a child.

On a small side note, your mentioning of Nora French is of interest to me. I would like to get some of her poetry but as you probably know, it is very hard to come by. I noticed that the Bancroft Library has a few books of her but they are, obviously, not for checkout. Do you know by any chance if Bancroft allows photocopying? (Yes, I should know this being a UCB student, but I am such a recluse that I have never tried). If so, I would be willing to share any of the poems I find of hers with the CAS community if anyone is interested.

Thank you again.

Alycia

Date: 30 November, 2004 09:48PM
Scott & Co.,

I have drafted an essay on CAS/Sufism/Omar and when complete, I plan on submitting it to LOST WORLDS. Stay tuned...
:)

Cheers
Benjamin S.

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2004 12:42AM
Yes, Ben has drafted an essay; I've seen the draft.

ciao!

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2004 04:48AM
WELL?????

Also: Alycia, Yes Bancroft allows photocopying. Also, there was a reprint of her POEMS by a local feminist bookstore back in the 1990's that shows up on ABE on occasion.

Best,
Scott

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 1 December, 2004 02:29PM
Any chance of getting the title of that reprint? I'd like to keep my eyes open for it.

Plus, Alycia, I'd be interested in getting you to make some photocopies for me at some point; I'd like to know what the potential cost of it all would be.

Date: 1 December, 2004 06:58PM
Splendid. I am not sure if I will get a chance to copy some of her poems before Winter Break, but I will be there as soon as I can. I will also keep my eye out for the book you mentioned Scott. Thank you :)

Also, Phillip, I can try to get you what I can. On Dec 10th I will be out of official class and on a finals schedule, so if anything needs be done before then please contact me. The rest we can discuss in e-mail.

Thanks again.

Alycia

Posted by: Mikey_C (IP Logged)
Date: 3 December, 2004 12:21PM
I would say the reference to "bousing" pretty much confirms this as a reference to "Omar Khayyam":

" And this I know: whether the one True Light,
Kindle to Love, or Wrath consume me quite,
One Glimpse of It within the Tavern caught
Better than in the Temple lost outright."

Alcohol is, of course, forbidden in orthodox Islam.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page