Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Announcing The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2005 03:23PM
From the Night Shade Books website (http://www.nightshadebooks.com/book.aspx?bookid=129):

The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith - Subscription
Clark Ashton Smith

A major event for weird fiction fans! Night Shade is proud to present the Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith in five volumes. Scott Connors and Ron Hilger, editors and Smith experts, are going back to the original manuscripts to prepare a definitive set of texts. The Night Shade edition is authorized by the Estate of CAS, and endorsed by Arkham House. Jason Van Hollander will be doing full color jackets for each volume. Each volume will have an guest introduction (tba) and there will be story notes for each story, prepared by the editors.

The first volume is due in the fall of 2005. After the first volume is released, we will no longer accept subscriptions. Vols. 2 & 3 are due in 2006, vol. 4 & 5 are due in 2007.

Each volume will retail for $39 separately. As always with our classics sets, we're offering a special offer to subscribers.

A subscription will run $150, which is a savings of $45. Also included is free shipping (UPS in the US, Airmail everywhere else). Most importantly, subscribers will receive an extra book, Tales of India and Irony, that will ONLY be available to subscribers. These are Smith's non fantasy/science fiction/horror tales, and will not be part of the five volume set.

Tales of India and Irony contents:
Introduction by Scott Connors and Ron Hilger
The Animated Sword (unpublished)
The Malay Crise
The Ghost of Mohammed Din
The Mahout
The Rajah and the Tiger
Something New
The Flirt
The Perfect Woman
A Platonic Entanglement
The Expert Lover
The Parrot
A Copy of Burns
Checkmate
"O Amor Atque Realitas! Clark Ashton Smith's First Adult Fiction" by Donald Sidney-Fryer

[NOTE BY SCOTT: Now you all know what Ron and I have been sniffing around about for the last couple of years! We _finally_ got the go-ahead for this one, though!]

Re: Announcing The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith
Posted by: Steven Fama (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2005 06:54PM
Well this is news.

Let's get going with the peanut gallery comments:

"Collected Fantasies" -- are those words carefully chosen, or what? Is it a collected stories, or are the fantasies a subset of the stories? That some stories are available in a sixth book available only to subscribers suggests that fantasies is a subset of all stories. Also, I've learned that the word "collected" is carefully used by publishers. Specifically, collected does not mean "complete." So, the big question is -- what's in, and what's not? Where's the projected table of contents, por favor?

Second, the "original manuscript" equals "definitive text" only if it is clear that CAS preferred the original manuscript to a later version, yes? In other words the "original" = "definitive" equation does not always compute as simply as it might sound. Nothing wrong of course, with going with the "original manuscript," assuming that CAS marked his texts as finals versus drafts, but I don't think it fair in every case to conclude that the original is always definitive. In fact, the equation is a bit of a paradox since definitive means, ultimately, "final" and in some ways "final" could be the opposite of "original," if original means first. Definitive, in short, is publisher hype, and the key is if each text selection is justified, including a brief explanation of what other options were available. Its an important question because for us who have the Arkham collections it can reasonably be asked what the Nightshades offer that we don't already have.

Third, I suppose it is time for story notes for CAS but on the other hand I don't like somebody else's words -- no matter how intelligent and informed, which Scott's and Ron's no doubt will be -- literally sharing the same physical space as CAS' stories. But what I really hope is that "story notes" means a paragraph or two after the story has ended, not some kind of prologue, More than anything I hope that story notes does not mean stories with footnotes. The annotated Lovecraft is just awful in this latter respect. To footnote another writer's text, no matter how well intentioned the purpose for doing so, is graffiti of the worst kind.

Fourth, without knowing the size of each volume, it is difficult to judge whether $40 a book, or the $25 or so cost for each volume if one subscribes to the set, is fair. I gotta admit, however, that the price on the set seems fair, and a terrific chance for those who don't have the Arkhams and want a nice set of CAS' stories. On the other hand, there are lots of opportunties for circumstances to change bewteen now and sometime in 2007 when the final volume (of the five regular books) is currently scheduled for publication, and Nightshade bless their hearts I love 'em but they were late late with Red World especially with the slipcase version all of which is to say great as it is to hear this news, and even assuming the matters stated above are adequately addressed, buying the set has a touch of the gamble to it, if only because it's like to be three years before it fully comes to pass.

-- SF

Date: 17 March, 2005 08:06PM
Steven Fama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well this is news.
>
> Let's get going with the peanut gallery comments:
>
> "Collected Fantasies" -- are those words carefully
> chosen, or what? Is it a collected stories, or
> are the fantasies a subset of the stories? That
> some stories are available in a sixth book
> available only to subscribers suggests that
> fantasies is a subset of all stories. Also, I've
> learned that the word "collected" is carefully
> used by publishers. Specifically, collected does
> not mean "complete." So, the big question is --
> what's in, and what's not? Where's the projected
> table of contents, por favor?

There are 112 stories in this series, ranging from "The Abominations of Yondo" to "The Dart of Rasasfa." We are including every story CAS published in this period along with those stories unpublished in his lifetime that were of a fantastic nature. I am using "fantastic" in the widest sense, encompassing science fiction and horror tales as well as those stories set in a secondary world. We are also not including his already published juvenalia, since that is in-print from Hippocampus Press, but there is nothing to prevent us from going back after the initial set and doing a sixth volume containing "The Black Diamonds," "The Sword of Zagan," etc. We are including his very early published tales from the BLACK CAT and OVERLAND MONTHLY in the bonus book, along with his completed ironic-romantic/realistic stories. I could not see diluting the main volumes with these, but as a bonus for the hard-core Casophile I see no problem.
>
> Second, the "original manuscript" equals
> "definitive text" only if it is clear that CAS
> preferred the original manuscript to a later
> version, yes? In other words the "original" =
> "definitive" equation does not always compute as
> simply as it might sound. Nothing wrong of
> course, with going with the "original manuscript,"
> assuming that CAS marked his texts as finals
> versus drafts, but I don't think it fair in every
> case to conclude that the original is always
> definitive. In fact, the equation is a bit of a
> paradox since definitive means, ultimately,
> "final" and in some ways "final" could be the
> opposite of "original," if original means first.
> Definitive, in short, is publisher hype, and the
> key is if each text selection is justified,
> including a brief explanation of what other
> options were available. Its an important question
> because for us who have the Arkham collections it
> can reasonably be asked what the Nightshades offer
> that we don't already have.

As Steve Behrends demonstrated in the Unexpurgated Clark Ashton Smith series, editorial dicta forced Smith to alter his stories in a manner that was not consistent with his aesthetic tastes or authorial intent, creating stories that were not as rich or satisfying as he intended. The best known example is "The Dweller in the Gulf," but consider also the case of "The Beast of Averoigne." In its published version it is okay but hardly exceptional, but its original version, by presenting three separate narratives, is one of the best things Smith ever wrote. We are going to include explanations of how we arrived at the texts. These include comparison of all known manuscripts with the Arkham House editions (these were prepared from magazine tearsheets), the pulps where available, and with Smith's letters wherein he lamented the changes he had to do. Read Jim Rockhill's article "The Poetics of Morbidity" for more on how he had to "dumb down" his stories for the pulp readers. In short, our goal is to restore that which Smith was forced to change or excise against his own will, while retaining those latter changes he made out of a desire to improve the story. Does this require some ouija board work? Yes, but let's face it: what we have now is not what Smith wanted. We may not always hit the bull's-eye, but we're at least always going to be in the ten-ring of the target.
>
> Third, I suppose it is time for story notes for
> CAS but on the other hand I don't like somebody
> else's words -- no matter how intelligent and
> informed, which Scott's and Ron's no doubt will be
> -- literally sharing the same physical space as
> CAS' stories. But what I really hope is that
> "story notes" means a paragraph or two after the
> story has ended, not some kind of prologue, More
> than anything I hope that story notes does not
> mean stories with footnotes. The annotated
> Lovecraft is just awful in this latter respect.
> To footnote another writer's text, no matter how
> well intentioned the purpose for doing so, is
> graffiti of the worst kind.
>
We are not providing annotations. The notes will form an appendix, where they will not impede the reader's appreciation of the tale. These will be more biographical than critical, ie "Just the facts, ma'am." (I can bloviate elsewhere.) I am considering including a glossary of some of Smith's more esoteric words, but this has not been decided. I welcome input from the forum as to whether such a glossary should be included.

> Fourth, without knowing the size of each volume,
> it is difficult to judge whether $40 a book, or
> the $25 or so cost for each volume if one
> subscribes to the set, is fair. I gotta admit,
> however, that the price on the set seems fair, and
> a terrific chance for those who don't have the
> Arkhams and want a nice set of CAS' stories. On
> the other hand, there are lots of opportunties for
> circumstances to change bewteen now and sometime
> in 2007 when the final volume (of the five regular
> books) is currently scheduled for publication, and
> Nightshade bless their hearts I love 'em but they
> were late late with Red World especially with the
> slipcase version all of which is to say great as
> it is to hear this news, and even assuming the
> matters stated above are adequately addressed,
> buying the set has a touch of the gamble to it, if
> only because it's like to be three years before it
> fully comes to pass.

Smith wrote just under 600,000 words of fiction, so each volume will run around 100-115,000 words, depending on the length of each story. They will be arranged chronologically in the order of composition, not publication. This spreads the first-rate stories throughout the series, more or less evenly. Jason will be posting a tenative Table of Contents on the website soon, but as things stand now here is what the first volume will contain (subject to change, but only as to the addition or subtraction of stories toward the end):

The Abominations of Yondo
Sadastor
The Ninth Skeleton
The Last Incantation
The End of the Story
The Phantoms of the Fire
A Night in Malneánt
The Resurrection of the Rattlesnake
Thirteen Phantasms
The Venus of Azombeii
The Tale of Satampra Zeiros
The Monster of the Prophecy
The Metamorphosis of Earth
The Epiphany of Death
A Murder in the Fourth Dimension
The Devotee of Evil
The Satyr
The Planet of the Dead
The Uncharted Isle
Marooned in Andromeda
The Necromantic Tale
The Immeasurable Horror
A Voyage to Sfanomöe
The Door to Saturn

Note that there is not a lot of overlap with either A RENDEZVOUS IN AVEROIGNE or STAR CHANGES.

We _will_ have the first volume out by this autumn, unless certain depositories of Smith's papers drag their feet more than usual. The problem with the deluxe RED WORLD OF POLARIS was with the manufacturer of the slipcase, which is why we are not offering one this time. And besides, Night Shade has a pretty good record as far as small press publishers go. It's not like, say, Grant with the forever-delayed AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES or even Chaosium with THE KLARKASH-TON CYCLE! Night Shade has a good track record with these sets, having made similar offers for series by Manly Wade Wellman, William Hope Hodgson, and Lord Dunsany. Have a little faith, Steve!
;)

Best wishes,
Scott

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2005 12:01AM
Scott Connors Wrote:
> From the Night Shade Books website
> (http://www.nightshadebooks.com/book.aspx?bookid=1
> 29):
>
> The Collected Fantasies of Clark Ashton Smith -
> Subscription
> Clark Ashton Smith
>
>

God bless you, Scott! So THIS is the "major announcement" you've been making hints about! You like understatements, don't you? ;)

Woke up this morning -- the day before my birthday (YAY!) -- only to discover your e-mail from the LovecraftScholars list. With mouth full of cereal I RAN to get my credit card so I could sign up for a subscription as an early birthday gift to myself (sure, it will be felt in the wallet, but I'll live). :)

Yrs
Martin

Posted by: Kyberean (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2005 08:54AM
Excellent news, indeed.

I welcome the glossary, myself. I cannot, however, agree with the writer who so disllikes annotations. I don't think, though, that CAS's tales cry out for annotation in the way that, say, Poe's or Maturin's do (In fact, I defy any modern reader, no matter how erudite, fully to understand and appreciate Melmoth the Wanderer unannotated).

I do agree with the editors' attempts to present the tales as they imagine CAS would have wished them to be published. While such an undertaking does require a bit of scrying, I have every confidence in their judgment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18 Mar 05 | 08:55AM by Kyberean.

Posted by: Noel Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2005 01:35PM
Scott....

Do we need place orders now or can we wait until the first volume is released.

Congratulations and thanks for your hard work to make this happen.

Date: 24 March, 2005 02:43PM
Noel Farmer Wrote:
> Scott....
>
> Do we need place orders now or can we wait until
> the first volume is released.
>
> Congratulations and thanks for your hard work to
> make this happen.

If I may be so rude and cut in...

After the first volume has been published, no more subscriptions will be taken. And only subscribers will get the sixth bonus book.

<<The first volume is due in the fall of 2005. After the first volume is released, we will no longer accept subscriptions. [snip]

Most importantly, subscribers will receive an extra book, Tales of India and Irony, that will ONLY be available to subscribers.>>

Posted by: Noel Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2005 02:55PM
You are rude you asshole

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2005 03:03PM
Oh wonderful day!
Since I can't subscribe,
I shall weep my way
and burble inside.

The readies I lack,
since my rent grew fat
and bowed is my back;
my heart is flat

with weary sighs
that rise to the heights...
humid are eyes,
tortured are nights!

ie. there are some lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky b*st*rds out there!

Date: 24 March, 2005 04:14PM
Noel Farmer Wrote:
> You are rude you asshole

I most certainly am (blame my rural background), since the question wasn't directed to me. :)
But I figured that this way you'd get a quicker reply.

Posted by: Travis Fahling (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2005 04:21PM
"Fourth, without knowing the size of each volume, it is difficult to judge whether $40 a book, or the $25 or so cost for each volume if one subscribes to the set, is fair."

If their edition of the Collected Jorkens is ANY indication, I am 100% certain it will be worth it.

Not to be too effusive, but the two volumes I have (patiently waiting for the 3rd) are amongst the most beautifully produced books I have on my shelf.

I'm VERY glad it it you guys that are publishing this.

Posted by: Roger (IP Logged)
Date: 24 March, 2005 07:58PM
Scott, this is great news... saw it mentioned on one of my yahoo groups this week. This is what I've been waiting for. I have no problem paying the big bucks for this, the definitive CAS. (That said, I don't think I can afford to subscribe).

Thanks for your efforts!

Date: 25 March, 2005 06:15AM
Noel,
Sorry that I didn't reply sooner, but I've been tied up proofreading STAR CHANGES. There are two major benefits to subscribing to the series: 1) you save about fifty dollars, plus you get free shipping anywhere in the world (you can thank the folks over at Ash Tree Press for this!), and 2) only subscribers get the sixth, bonus trade paperback, TALES OF INDIA AND IRONY.
And Martin isn't really an asshole, he just plays one on television. :)
Best,
Scott

Posted by: Stan (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2005 06:52PM
In regard to the overlap: There is very little overlap with either A RENDEZVOUS IN AVEROIGNE or STAR CHANGES in the contents of volume 1, but what about future volumes? Will the stories from STAR CHANGES ultimately be included in COLLECTED FANTASIES? And will "Red World of Polaris" also be included in the collection? I would appreciate clarification. Many thanks.

Stan

Date: 25 March, 2005 08:56PM
Eventually, all of Smith's stories, including those in RENDEZVOUS, AVEROIGNE CHRONICLES, RED WORLD OF POLARIS, and STAR CHAMGES, will be included. The series is arranged chronologically, that is in the order Smith wrote them.

Best,
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page