Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Clark Ashton Smith: Poet of the Extraordinary
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2005 01:05AM
G'day!

I'm starting to make notes towards my forthcoming monograph about CAS, the poet. For that, since I need to wait until I have all his poems, I thought that I would make notes on the outline.

To give you an idea of it's scope, it will be a full-sized book, of at least 150 pages. I hope to cover the major works, and look at major pieces and themes in his work, whilst giving an informed overview of his total achievement. Which is where you fellas come in.

What topics, themes, etc. would you like to see raised in my book? Since I am writing about his poetry, to what extent should I discuss his prose? How much of a biographical background should I give, or should I refer those requiring such information elsewhere? What poems, in particular, should be given an extended treatment? Which secondary sources in particular do you recommend? These and other issues can be addressed here, while I work on the preliminaries, and upon such information as I have.

I estimate that it will take me a number of years to get the work in final order. I am hoping for at least 150 000 words, minimum, as I hope to produce a definitive analysis of him as a poet.

Any help that you can give is welcome, and you will be acknowledged.

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Re: Clark Ashton Smith: Poet of the Extraordinary
Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2005 06:00AM
voleboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> To give you an idea of it's scope, it will be a
> full-sized book, of at least 150 pages. I hope to
> cover the major works, and look at major pieces
> and themes in his work, whilst giving an informed
> overview of his total achievement. Which is where
> you fellas come in.

Cool project! :)
>
> What topics, themes, etc. would you like to see
> raised in my book?

Well, the cosmic theme, of course. I also think that a study of the many wizard figures in Smith's poetry would be interesting; comparisons with the wizards of his fiction could be made (and I think such a study could be very fruitful).

> Since I am writing about his
> poetry, to what extent should I discuss his prose?

I think that Smith's poetry and prose are very closely tied together (most notably so in the prose poems, o course), so I think that more than passing mention should be made of the prose.

> How much of a biographical background should I
> give, or should I refer those requiring such
> information elsewhere?

I think that some general overview of Smith's life should be included for the sake of completeness, much like S. T. Joshi's introduction to AN EPICURE IN THE TERRIBLE, which is a mini-biography of HPL. But nothing extensive.

> What poems, in particular,
> should be given an extended treatment?

"The Hashish-Eater", "Song of the Necromancer", "Canticle"... Just off the top of my head. There are many, many more.

> Which
> secondary sources in particular do you recommend?

Scott's "Gesturing Toward the Infinite" that I can think of right now, also that article by Stableford whose title escapes me at the moment ("Out of the Human Aquarium"?). The latter may focus more on the fiction, but could be useful.

> I estimate that it will take me a number of years
> to get the work in final order. I am hoping for at
> least 150 000 words, minimum, as I hope to produce
> a definitive analysis of him as a poet.

I'm looking forward to it very much! I've seen what you've done on CAS's love poems, and it is sterling work!

Yrs
Martin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page