Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Annotated CAS
Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 3 June, 2005 01:42AM
Is there room for a volume of annotated CAS texts, and what would you like to see in such a volume?

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Re: Annotated CAS
Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 3 June, 2005 06:00PM
I didn't think much of the Joshi's annotated Lovecraft. I felt the notes more often than not got in the way of the story. A few of the notes were perhaps interesting but most of them seemed way to trivial.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 8 June, 2005 07:23AM
We'rd including notes on each individual story in the Night Shade set (in an appendix), and we're thinking of including a glossary of CAS' more esoteric vocabulary usages, but we're not going to do a full tilt monty annotation like Joshi did. There aren't too many contemporary or historical references in Smith's stories, so any attempt at explication would involve the imposition of a third viewpoint between the author and the reader.

Scott

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 8 June, 2005 09:23AM
I agree with Scott on this. A glossary at the end of each volume should be sufficient. Contrary to Lovecraft's striving after the semblance of verisimilitude by grounding as many details in a work in historical events and actual locations, Smith prefers to invent as much in his tales as he can. An occasional note may be helpful when Smith refers to an artist or a real location in one of the contemporary tales, but I would not consider such glosses obligatory in Smith, as they sometimes are in HPL.

Jim

P.S. I like what looks like Scott's new way of spelling WE'RD TALES.

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 9 June, 2005 04:30PM
What about, then, as a modified idea, a critical edition of some of CAS' poetry? There may be scope in some poems for annotations rather than a glossary at the end, for example, but I'd like also to see bibliographic and textual data where appropriate.

Of course, selection criteria is important, and I would probably plump for pleasure as the first and foremost one. If so, how would that affect a reading of the contents?

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Posted by: Benocles Czar (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2005 10:58AM
Phillip,

It would be a huge step in Smith studies. I mentioned this idea in passing, when I wrote a letter to Connors for LOST WORLDS.

A glossary wouldn't be too hard to create. There's a wealth of other information to be annotated though.

Great idea...
:)

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2005 07:20PM
John Hitz has prepared such a glossary, which we may include as an appendix to the Night Shade CAS set.
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page