Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The Sword & Sorcery of CAS
Posted by: nikolai (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2005 08:35AM
Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in CAS's Sword & Sorcery, and his influence on the genre. Is there a list anywhere of which of his works are S&S? I realise certain collections tend to be S&S - such as Zothique - S&S is often mingled with work from other genres, such as horror. CAS wrote an awful lot, and I'm looking for something to guide me to the tales I'm interested in.

I think CAS has a very interesting take on S&S, some of this stories play out as "usual", but in others the hero ends up being eaten or another get out is used. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which are his best S&S stories.

Thanks,

nikolai

Re: The Sword & Sorcery of CAS
Posted by: Tortha (IP Logged)
Date: 20 July, 2005 12:05PM
Somewhere on this site are the tables of content from the Hyporborea and Zothique books. Find those and that would give you a pretty good list to begin with. Here are some that come to mind:

The Ice Demon
The Weaver in the Vault
The Last Incantation
The Death of Malygris
The Tale of Satampra Zeiros
The Theft of the Thirty Nine Girdles
The Black Abbot of Puthuum
Master of the Crabs
Necromancy in Naat

I am not sure that I would call these stories Sword and Sorcery, but fans of that genre would likely also enjoy these.

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 25 July, 2005 09:24PM
There is an article in the works for LOST WORLDS on this very subject.
Scott

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 July, 2005 07:40AM

Stan Lee published to "Conan" adaptations of CAS tales; in a quick look on the shelf, I can immediately find "The Weird of Avoozl Wuthoquuam",
the other is lying about somewhere.

Posted by: nikolai (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2005 01:02PM
Thanks for the comments. I'll look out for the upcoming article. Since there is no list, I'll add to Tortha's suggestions:

The Voyage of King Euvoran
The Charnel God
The Tomb-Spawn
The Coming of the White Worm
The Enchantress of Sylaire
The Beast of Averoigne
The Colossus of Ylourgne
The Demon of the Flower

Is there any out-of-cycle S&S? Like the Demon of the Flower or the Maze of the Enchanter? It's pretty easy to work through all the Zothique stories and the like, but it's more difficult to find stories hidden among the horror and SF.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page