Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
STAR CHANGES shipping!
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2005 12:54AM
Darkside Press has received copies of STAR CHANGES from the printer, and is in the process of filling advance orders. However, the process has been slowed down due to the fact that Kathy Pelan, wife of publisher John Pelan, who is basically the "shipping department," was stabbed by a mugger last week and is currently hospitalized. I am sure that we all send her our best wishes for a speedy recovery. Meanwhile John is attempting to fill orders in as expeditious a manner as is possible consistent with his duties to his family in this time of crisis. I am sure that he appreciates everyone's patience. It is indeed a beautiful book, and I am proud to be associated with it.
For those of you who have held off ordering this book because of the forthcoming Night Shade Books "Collected Fantasies" series, I should fill you in on the background. John approached me about doing STAR CHANGES back in early 2003. A certain Fabian slowness in providing microfilms from the university library that posseses them coupled with my being out of action when I broke my arm in September of 2003 delayed its completion until early this year.
Then Night Shade Books was able to obtain permission to do the "Collected Fantasies" series. This is coming along, but that same library is not being any more forthcoming in providing copies for sundry housekeeping reasons that I won't go into because they are so breathtakingly BORING!!!! I just received the rest of the manuscripts for volume one earlier this month, and while work on the texts is coming along nicely, it is slow, deliberate work.
Bottom line is that volume one will probably appear this Christmas or shortly afterward, with two more volumes in 2006 and the rest in 2007. I've been paid for STAR CHANGES, so it doesn't make any financial difference to me if another copy ever sells, but I would urge all Smith fans who aren't poverty stricken to get a copy, because otherwise you won't have all of the stories until almost 2008, and I also am quite proud of the introduction I wrote on CAS' career as a scientifictionist. I don't want to see John lose money because I had an accident and couldn't do any work for several months.
Also, if the book sells out, that will make it easier for me to try to sell it to a couple of other markets that I would like to see CAS penetrate and increase his readership. This was the main reason I did the book, but developments are screwing up my strategies! (Clausewitz was right about battle plans never surviving contact with the enemy, but I didn't realize that it applies to marketing and consumers as well!)
Thanks.
Scott

[www.darksidepress.com]

Re: STAR CHANGES shipping!
Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2005 11:31AM
I'm dying to see this book; any idea how things are going with John Pelan?

Semper idem. -Ron

Posted by: Martinus (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2005 01:09PM
Scott Connors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I've been paid for STAR CHANGES, so it doesn't
> make any financial difference to me if another
> copy ever sells, but I would urge all Smith fans
> who aren't poverty stricken to get a copy, because
> otherwise you won't have all of the stories until
> almost 2008, and I also am quite proud of the
> introduction I wrote on CAS' career as a
> scientifictionist. I don't want to see John lose
> money because I had an accident and couldn't do
> any work for several months.

Yup, I have it on order from my friendly dealer (hi Gavin!). Any new CAS collection is a Good Thing, especially if it features a nice introduction (really liked the one for SELECTED LETTERS, BTW). I'm not someone who passes up on a Good Thing if I can afford it, so STAR CHANGES will make its way to my shelves as soon as a new shipment has collected (and the next one should, Tsathoggua willing, also contain the CAS/Sterling letters). :)

> Also, if the book sells out, that will make
> it easier for me to try to sell it to a couple of
> other markets that I would like to see CAS
> penetrate and increase his readership. This was
> the main reason I did the book,

Excellent reason! A pleasure to have done my part. :)

Yrs
Martin

Posted by: jimrockhill2001 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 September, 2005 01:38PM
John Pelan tells me I should see my copy of STAR CHANGES soon. Now that the word is getting out that CAS is someone worth reading, and we are all doing our part by snatching up these books as soon as they see return from the printer, perhaps an established academic publisher that has already shown interest in fantasy, such as Bison/University of Nebraska Press, will take the plunge. Bison has done a pretty good job on their Robert E. Howard titles so far (and they were very nice about exchanging defective copies too).

Jim

Date: 6 October, 2005 11:34AM
Finally got my book yesterday, and can confirm it is a beautiful production. Nice cover by John Knox, very nice layout and design, exhaustive intro that explains much of CAS' difficulties with pulp editors (chiefly Wonder Stories)
Very high quality of stories overall, only thing missing is "Singing Flame" and "Master of the Asteroid" both of which are currently in the Arkahm edition. I can also vouch for the quality of the texts, which are a vast improvement over the Arkham texts, regarding both errors corrected and reinstating excised material. YOU NEED THIS BOOK!

-Ron

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 6 October, 2005 02:56PM
Wooo Hoo, I look forward to mine, lucky I was offered a gratis one by Scott.

Date: 6 October, 2005 10:16PM
casofile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Nice cover by John Knox

Oops, I should have said Allen Koszowski did the cover art (as well as a very nice frontispiece.) Wrote this earlier from work and confused the two artists. Senior moment, I guess.
-Ron

Date: 10 October, 2005 08:42PM
And I have one set aside for you, but since I have to pay for it (only got three comp copies) it may take a while to send it out to you, so please be patient. It will probably be after WFC in Madison next month.

Date: 11 October, 2005 05:03PM
Hey Scott, if its free you can send it by giant squid in 2010, im not going to complain.

Date: 11 October, 2005 05:41PM
Have you checked the price on giant squid mail to New Zealand lately? (I think it's because it all goes through R'lyeh....) Anyway, I think that we can do better than 2010, although Phillip might disagree. (Yeah, I still owe _him_ a book, too! Procrastination, thy name is Scott!)

El Procrastinador

Date: 11 October, 2005 06:13PM
Oh do send it surface, air is a rip-off, I have the contents of any way (in some form or another) so I can wait. And there are a few books i'll be reading before i get to it.

I'm reading "Collected Essays 1: Amateur Journalism by H P Lovecraft" at the moment, a dense but interesting read. It would be nice to see some of the works he is criticising. Some great quotes for the 'Lovecraft Racist' debate, not that I want to get in to it,

B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11 Oct 05 | 06:24PM by Boyd.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page