Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
spells and Philtres
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 4 September, 2005 07:44AM

Is there a copy of Clark's "Spells and Philtres" among any of you,
dear friends? I have not been able to locate mine for some time, and have seen no references to it in the critical essays now being written.
The importance of this tiny work in understanding the mind of CAS should not be ignored. I have the impression than many fans are unaware of this book and the "philtres"(sayings), among which are some of my favorites to this day. I do not find some this on the site. If you have a copy, we need to get some of it back in print.
Dr. F

Re: spells and Philtres
Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 4 September, 2005 12:35PM

I sent Boyd complete photocopies of both "Spells and Philtres" and "The Dark Chateau" several years ago. If the epigrams are not on site, it may be due to Boyd's reluctance to incur the wrath of Don Herron, who edited "The Devil's Notebook" the collected epigrams and pensees of CAS. Anything in particular you're looking for?

-Ron

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 4 September, 2005 04:09PM
Yes there were copyright issues around the epigrams. I will have to troll the archives to find out what I can do. I do believe everything else from Spells and Philtres is on the site, if not let me know and I'll add it as I do have a photocopy of it (Thanks Ron).

B.

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 5 September, 2005 09:28AM

My brother informs me several copies are available on Abebooks - costing 500-800 dollars. Having the "sayings" available on site would be a useful source of discussion since they reveal aspects of Clark's thought and experience not readily seen in his works.
drf

Posted by: Boyd (IP Logged)
Date: 6 September, 2005 04:42PM
Epigrams And Apothegms

Thansk to Ron for scanning them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 6 Sep 05 | 04:43PM by Boyd.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 8 September, 2005 07:58PM
No sweat, Boyd- I've checked "The Devil's Notebook" and a few other sources but can't locate Dr Farmer's favorite epigram by CAS "Sweet are the uses of Obscurity." Anyone know if this has been published? If not, I vote we add it to the list . . . Any thoughts?
My favorites in this batch are:

All human thought, all science, all religion, is the holdĀ­ing of a candle to the night of the universe.

Philosophy: a sort of intellectual gymnastics.

The salvation of the barnyard fowl is the damnation of the eagle.

-Ron

Posted by: ksjusha (IP Logged)
Date: 1 October, 2005 08:27PM
In our country is very popular old orthodox spells. I use them and this greatly helps me. I found orthodox spells on the English www.orthodoxviktor.com. Try! They will help you. Orthodox Viktor write this spells. I use the same, but in the Russian language.

Posted by: Ghoti23 (IP Logged)
Date: 15 October, 2005 10:35AM
I tried to email Dr Farmer today but my message bounced. Has anyone been in touch with him recently at his remraf3 address?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page