Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Time To Come antho. and a small mystery
Posted by: Frederick (IP Logged)
Date: 6 November, 2005 06:19PM
Searching about an used English bookstore in Seoul, Korea, I came across two versions of the paperback version of the antho. "Time To Come." There were some interesting
differences, besides the cover art. I will list the two and info concerning them...any input will be welcomed.

TIME TO COME, Tower book, 10 stories
Ed. August Derleth (just as listed here at E.D.) 1965

Claims stories within have "never
before published in paperback." There is
only a very small paragraph introduction
(which is mainly the last paragraph from
what is offered in Pyramid paperback).
Author Evelyn E. Smith is listed as
being in the book, but she is not
included within the text.

TIME TO COME, Pyramid book, 12 stories
Ed.August Derleth
May, 1969

Claims stories within "Never Before Published
In Paperback", plus, "...written for this book
and have been published nowhere else."
Contents list "Forward" by Derleth (originally
from 1 January 1954, not to mention, "published
by arrangement with Farrar, Straus & Giroux").
This Derleth piece is a little over one page long.
It mentions Evelyn E. Smith and her story "Daxbr
Baxbr" (or the other way around as the title is
presented in a crossword puzzle cross style) and
Carl Jacobi's tale "The White Pinnacle."

The actual stories remained the same in content in each paperback presentation of them, including
CAS' "Phoenix" (with the addition of E.E.Smith and C. Jacobi stories presented the same way as the other ten, including their short bios).

Thank you all for your time and energy on this small mystery.

Frederick J. Mayer

Re: Time To Come antho. and a small mystery
Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 7 November, 2005 09:04PM
No mystery, Fred: TIME TO COME was an original anthology that Derleth edited, and was originally published in hardcover. It was often the case with paperback reprints that not all of the contents of the original edition would be carried over: see for instance Derleth's own collection NOT LONG FOR THIS WORLD, where the Ballantine edition omits several short-shorts included in the Arkham.
BTW, I recently obtained a copy of your article on CAS' artwork from FANTASY FORUM. It looks as if they ran both parts together. Some nice artwork there, bud!
Best,
Scott

Date: 23 November, 2005 10:09AM
Thanks Scott,

I am some what familiar with the "mysterious" ways publishers sometime move :)
such in the case of the paperbacks of Time To Come, they had some very lazy proof readers who failed to check such things as updating material i.e. the bio/info on CAS in 1954, Smith was alive...by 1965/1969, he was dead, however, in the paperbacks, they kept the original info from 1954 completely in tact, hence, CAS is listed as still alive.

What I find a bit mysterious or odd (I don't have a copy of the original hardback to look at, so my info concerning it comes from E.D. site)are things like:

the table of contents for the hardback lists only 10 stories, so by 1969,
two more tales are added, though, in the original Forward by Derleth in
1954, there is mention of 12.

Is what happerning to all these stories from 1954-1965-1969 is just "bad" editing/proofing by those involved with all three (3) books?

Side note: Does this make the books, because of such errors any more valuable,
as it sometimes does with things like stamps?

Wow, you actually got a copy of those CAS articles I did for "Fantasy"
published by the Fantasy Artist Network! I haven't seen them/it in nearly over
20 years. Thanks for the kind words about the photos...the bulk of them that I took came from
such items owned by Bill Dorman, CAS' step-son who I was on friendly terms when I attended the
University where he taught in the Journalism Dept. (Is he still teaching/alive?),
who, during my visits to his home also provided me with some quite interesting
stories of what it was like somewhat growing up with Smith as a step-dad;
Hal Rubin, who I became actual friends with while he taught at the same Univ. as
he was the faculty professor connected to the campus magazine that I worked on
with him at the time, and he provided me with all sorts of local stories
concerning Smith as he introduced me to various people who remember Smith in general, as we usually discussed CAS in artistic terms, as you know, Hal was an artist in his
own right and Forrest J. Ackerman, who told me more about his wife'involvement/feelings concerning CAS :).

Side note: I find of find it interesting that at the time I'm writing this stuff,
there are stories appearing about the current floral show/display
which has a blooming Amorphophallus titanum, "Corpse plant," which can
grow up to 12 ft...CAS kept such a plant in his home at one time.

It was great, as always, to communicate once more with you. Again, thank you for all your valuable time and energy concerning my questions!

Take care,

Frederick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23 Nov 05 | 10:14AM by Frederick.

Date: 4 December, 2005 07:05PM
Scott (and anyone else who might be interested);

I discovered today (12/5/2005) on e-bay another issue of FANTASY ARTIST
(the magazine that published my articles/photos of CAS art/scupture) that
may be of interest to you (others)...issue Vol.3, No. 1, 1981, its front cover in very nice color/condition is the art piece entited "The Dark Eidolon" by John K.Hilkert ("Inspired by the Clark Ashton Smith Story of the same name").

Again, thank you for all your valuable time and effort concerning the info to my "questions" and letting me know about finding a copy/issue about CAS Art material/article of mine in FA :)!

Note: The magazine/article(s) by me started to help raise re-newed interest in Smith (back then) and pieces like the cover art by Hilkert started to come into the zine soon afterwards.

Take care,

Frederick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page