Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
DSF correspondence
Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 2 December, 2005 11:45AM

A bit of good news:

My dear old friend Don Fryer sent me a copy of his third series of "Songs and Sonnets
Atlantean" - and I called him to thank him (took two calls both of which gave me the opportunity to reminisce with Rah Hoffman - now 85). He informs me that our bookseller friend, Gavin, in North Texas may be able to arrange a couple of Gigs for him in Dallas and Austin. Don asked me if I might do the same down in my area; I, of course said yes. This trip may occur in October of next year. Don and I have discussed performing together and may do so on this occasion, in which case a CD may follow. We have been friends for nearly 50 years now, and only reunited after a long absence through the good offices of my brother. We did some reading together, complementing the works by diverse styles, at the book-signing for "Zagan." If we are granted sufficient longevity and health this could come together. More info will be forthcoming in time.

I recommend Don's works to you - his earlier work this year, a translation from the French of "Gaspard de la Nuit" is really fine.

Re: DSF correspondence
Posted by: maeterlinck (IP Logged)
Date: 3 December, 2005 05:12PM
I have met DSF, and RAH and they are both great guys. I bought a copy of "Gaspard de la Nuit" myself and thought it was great. I met DSF at a book signing, he played the lute, and read from his book. My friends introduced me to RAH a couple of years ago and he is one of the finest men I have ever met. With thee most amazing collection of art and books I have ever seen..

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 4 December, 2005 05:22PM

I have not been to LA to visit the guys, and haven't seen Rah in person in centuries - but we speak often on the phone. If you live where you can visit them, I encourage you to do so. It is always valuable I have found to cultivate friendships with people who have actually done something with their lives besides run at the mouth, and since Rah is 85, Don is 72 and I am 67, the time when such lodes can be mined is short.

Posted by: maeterlinck (IP Logged)
Date: 4 December, 2005 07:21PM
I live in New Jersey now and will try to visit them when I go out their to visit in a few months. My good friends at Sam Johnsons book store in Los Angeles introduced me to RAH and DSF and I hope to meet them all again.

Posted by: Frederick (IP Logged)
Date: 4 December, 2005 07:45PM
I certainly agree with all that is being said above...I did meet Rah a long time ago, during the World Fantasy Con held in Los Angeles back in the 80's and he allowing me to interview him and once even invited me to his house (I forgot what he drank, but I had straight gin, funny how I should remember that minor point LOL)...one very impressive man !

I met Donald in the late 60's/early 70s (and eventually we became friends), first when I was attending C.S.U. Sacramento and he performed at this English prof's home for this special "honors" class' final class meeting and Donld performed his Songs and Sonnets et al. in full exquiste period outfit and presentation (we, who first encountered him then, he had almost believing in the actual one time existence of Atlantis, Donald was/is that good of a performer)...not long after, I was honored that he agreed to "perform" some CAS material on my (later award winning, thanks to people like DSF supporting it) radio drama series "Arkham Theater" and, boy, was it a real treat watching this truly professional at work (he even transformed the broadcast booth into something unique as Donld brought in, among other items, incenses and various musical instruments etc)! If anyone gets a chance to experience Donald live, do so by all means! ! (At least, get an audio copy of his work and, of course, his "written" material)

As human beings, both Donald and Rah are two of the most outstanding/kind/sharing individuals you could every meet !

I live in Asia now and it is very welcomed to be able to keep up with what some very fantastic individuals are up to thanks to Eldritch Dark and those who interact with it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 4 Dec 05 | 07:49PM by Frederick.

Posted by: voleboy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 December, 2005 04:38PM
I would appreciate the chance of contacting both Mr Fryer and Mr Hoffman, and was wondering, kind Dr Calonlan, whether you might do me a favour of passing along letters, with poems, to both, for me. Such would be a delight for me, and I am sure that they might appreciate a few of my better pieces to peruse.

ciao!

*Author of Strange Gardens [www.lulu.com]

*Editor of Calenture: a Journal of Studies in Speculative Verse [calenture.fcpages.com]

*Visit my homepage: [voleboy.freewebpages.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page