Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto:  Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
CAS' California?
Posted by: VonJunzt (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2006 06:52PM
Forgive me for posting this if it's already been discussed, but I'm new here and so far haven't found any discussion of it in the archives.

I've been considering a trip to the Auburn area to have a look at Klarkash-Ton's old haunts, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where I should visit, or any books or websites I should read before I go. I made a similar trip through Howard's Texas once and was surprised when I got to Cross Plains to find that his house is now a museum. Does anyone know of a similar museum to CAS (or even a musuem which has a CAS exhibit)? Also, does anyone know where I can find the specific addresses of his former homes?

If nothing else, it'll be nice to see the countryside and quarries which helped inspire him, but I'd like to learn more about the man if at all possible while I'm there.

Thanks very much.

Von Junzt

Re: CAS' California?
Posted by: Noel Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2006 11:28AM
There is a memorial to CAS located in Old Town Auburn. Also a small boulder that was moved from his property this site. His ashes were originally place under this rock.

His property is all housing development now, but there is a Poet Smith Dr. in his honor.

You should also visit the Old Carnaige Library where he read every book.

The Happy Hour bar in Old Town was one of his regular hang outs.

The house on the hill above Old Town was the subject of one of his stories, though I can not recall which.

I am sure other will chime in here. I only knew CAS when I was a young child, but did spend some interesting time with him walking his property. My brother knew him well and I am sure he will have some suggestions as well.

Posted by: casofile (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2006 11:33AM
Hello Marc-

Let me know in advance and I'd be happy to show you around. The cabin site is no more, but Old Auburn still has it's quaint goldrush atmosphere. A plaque in CAS' honor is located near the old courthouse and the Auburn Library has a very nice CAS collection locked up for special on site viewing.
All for now, I have to get back to work!
-Ron

Posted by: calonlan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2006 05:51PM

At this point you have had the best advice you can get. I strongly urge you to take Ron's invitation seriously (casofile) - I doubt there is anyone there who could do a more thorough and enthusistic job of giving you the tour.
drf(Noel's brother)

Date: 23 January, 2006 06:59PM
Excellent; thank you! I'd really appreciate being shown around by someone in the know.

Thanks to the rest of you as well for your comments!

Marc

Date: 23 January, 2006 07:01PM
By the way, I'll most likely be making this visit during my spring break. I see your e-mail is visible, and I'll let you know when I have exact dates.

Marc

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2006 11:17PM
Allow me to repeat Ron's invitation as well. It would be my pleasure to assist you.
Best,
Scott

Date: 24 January, 2006 01:30AM
Thank you, Scott! I'll most likely be in the area in the last week of March, but I'll be certain to contact you and Ron when the time draws nearer.

Marc

Date: 24 January, 2006 02:41PM

I will be there for my 50th HS reunion in August "ceteris paribus" (which they rarely are), and hope to see Ron and Scott, and vonJunzt-- make another trip out, I would like to meet you also.
Dr. Farmer

Posted by: Scott Connors (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2006 10:14PM
Let me know when you finalize your plans so that I can schedule work accordingly.
Best,
Scott

Posted by: maeterlinck (IP Logged)
Date: 7 February, 2006 05:21PM
I wanna go to lets make a pilgrimage

Date: 11 February, 2006 08:04PM

I just learned from my brother, that one of the last true, legendary locations of
Old Town Auburn is gone -- The Shanghai Restaurant - existed catty-cornered from the Happy Hour across the square in old Auburn and next to Marilyn Novak's antique and trade store. This restaurant was founded by an old chinese who was still alive when
I was a boy and we ate there(or took out) regularly. He had built his wealth as an assayer by wearing very long nails and stuffing miner's gold under them when they came in for assay. The restaurant also connected underground with all the chinese houses up the right side of High street, where the chinese were secretly mining in day's gone by. Both Grassvalley and Nevada City near where Ron Hilger lives were even more extensively "undermined" during the Gold Rush days. This is the basis for the wonderful scene in "Paint Your Wagon" (Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood sing!!) where the whole town collapses into the secret tunnels beneath where gold was sifting through the floor boards. When you examine the county records of the amount of Gold being brought in monthly from Rattlesnake Bar (where Clark got much of the Talc for his carvings), sometimes as high as 17,000,000 a month (pre-Roosevelt dollars), it is easy to see how this came about - when you visit, shed a tear for an institution with a colorful history now gone.
drf

Posted by: Noel Farmer (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2006 02:09PM
The closure is the result of a lease dispute between Richard Yue who runs the restaurant and his Uncle that owns the building. It is a shame as it is the oldest restaurant in CA still operating with the same original family; 4 generations and 3 Centuries. It will close @ 2:00am on June 19th and the contents will be auctioned off on June 26th. There is some pretty wild stuff in there that has collected over the years.

I always have made a point of thowing back a few at the Shanghai when in Auburn for HS Reunions.

I remember my Father coming home with take out from there and there was always fire crackers in the bag. The traditional Old Town 4th of July celebation will die with this as well unless some other business steps up to run it. The greased pole was always a high light of the 4th of July along with the sack races and 3 legged races etc. Not to mention the associated adult beverages consumed in the Shanghai.

Of course when I came of age it was the Shanghigh to me.

Posted by: NightHalo (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2006 07:09PM
Noel Farmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
It will close @ 2:00am on June 19th and
> the contents will be auctioned off on June 26th.

So it shall be open until June 19th? I think I will have to stop by there sometime before it closes. What a pity it has to close! Someone ought to keep it going purely for historical reasons alone.

Date: 13 February, 2006 07:48PM

Riding my brother's coattails for a moment (we just shared an evening at the Portland Opera performance of "Macbeth" with an old friend as Lady Macbeth), the temperature of the beer at the Shanghai was a nearly perfect as any I've ever had -- and I suspect both of us were consuming adult comestibles at the Happy Hour and the Shanghai long before the State would have approved -- local well-known lads had little problem with the business or the law in Old Town in the Halcyon days when you could by a house there for $6000, and go anywhere you pleased on a bike without fear. "O quae mutatio
rerum" (Latin end of old mushy, sentimental (is there any other kind) german drinking song ("O alte Burschenherligkeit!)

drf

Goto Page: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Top of Page